Quick Question

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Quick Question

Post by jaxsun_12 »

I was thinking about buying a "Furminator" brush and was just wondering if you guys use them. I believe i read something about them on here but i cant remember. So do any of you guys use them, what do you think about them?

jack will thank you!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

There are lots of opinions on that one. I do use it & find it pretty good. If you put 'furminator' into the search thingy you can review for yourself :D
Thank you Elodie!
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

I have one and regret buying it. Both my chows hate it and I don't think it does a good job for the high price.

I do love my "Mars Coat King" (10 blades). It takes the hair out without any discomfort and the undercoat just comes flying off.

Most of the time I find that my cheap "claw rake" and long pin brush are worth their weight in gold.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I think chows have various types of hairs, fur. What worked for my first chow doesn't do for Mikki my present chow. Luna had a coarse outer coat. Her chest and hind fur was extremely coarse. Mikki is all silky fur, top and bottom coat. I bought a rake, a furmanator wasn't necessary. I think I should have had a furminator with my first chow Luna. Both dogs are chows, both totally different in appearance, coat and personality.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

jogil
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jogil »

I recently purchased a large furminator. It was very pricey, almost $100 but well worth it in my opinion. I wanted to make sure I was going to like it and it was going to work at that price so I ordered one from my local pet store, ensuring I could return it if it wasn't suitable. I've lent it out to many friends and all who have tried it are now getting their own. You can buy them from ebay for a lot less than the regular retail cost. My friend is getting one for $35 canadian. After all it's about the cost of taking your dog to the groomers once or twice :)
yung1s
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yung1s »

I LOVE IT! :wink:

The shedding was just horrible this year so I gave in. I found a groomer that used the "Furminator", paid extra to have them use it on both of my Chows and it was a night and day difference. Prior to having them groomed with the Furminator (brush and shampoo), I was vaccumming 2-3 times A DAY! Afterwards, I only had to vaccuum maybe once every three days. I took them back two weeks later for a followup appt and I didn't have to vaccumm for an entire week! :)

The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that my Chows didn't look like Chows anymore... no more mane or puffy body etc. I really like that about my chows but its a small price to pay for less vaccumming and hair sticking to your pants. :roll:
yung1s
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yung1s »

Here's an example...

BEFORE
AFTER
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I'm hardpressed to get Buddha to let me brush him, and anytime I bring out the furminator I bought, he runs as fast as he can away from me. He'll tolerate a regular brush for about 2 mins. But he won't let me get near him with the furminator..it was a waste of money for us.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!