Nail Clipping...

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Nail Clipping...

Post by j72 »

Simon hates getting his nails clipped. I realize this is not an unusual feeling for him to have, but it is a necessary evil. However, he is not convinced. I don't know how to describe this, but the best way I can say it is that he "snuggles" his way out of it. Feet buried securely under him head face first in my lap... or he'll just come sit in my lap with his chest against mine and his face in my neck so I can't get to the paw.
When I am lucky enough to get a hold of a paw he snatches it away as soon as I get the nail trimmer close to the nail... and if I have a really firm grip of the paw, he will actually wiggle it around just so I can't get the trimmers on the nail.
I know some will say that I should have been playing with his paws and doing it since he was a baby and I wouldn't be having this problem... I did. From the time I brought him home we have had this fight... or snugglefest... or whatever you want to call it. I have always played with his toes and his nails and its all good... until those darn trimmers come out.
You guys had great suggestions on how to make him stand for the butt brushing (thank you Layla and Cherie, no more dreadlock hiny!) so I am sure hoping you can help me out with this one!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Butters is also a nail clipper hater. I also played his feet to death still do. But it all changes when he sees the clippers. We actually have a two person strategy. My husband will play with him and give him treats while I work on his nails.

I was told once to try and do just one nail a day until he gets better use to it, but I do not have the patience for this.
SweetPea Rocks!!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

I can't even get the ONE NAIL!!!! :oops:

I'll try the treat and play thing, it doesn't really work with the bath (he just looks at us like "do you think I'm stupid?") but its worth a shot!
I might just take him to the vet and have them do it.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Can't blame you for that. I use to take Butters to get his done as well. But when he hit about 6 months old he started getting a little sassy and they quit doing it.
SweetPea Rocks!!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

He does the Snuggle Out of It with the groomers too... its really pathetic, but it does work because when he does it I can't help but hug him! And the groomer found it irresistable too... though she DID get those nails clipped.
I've never seen him snuggle with the vet, but he is usually to busy sucking down the cookies she gives him while he is getting his shots...
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

TJordan wrote:Butters is also a nail clipper hater. I also played his feet to death still do. But it all changes when he sees the clippers. We actually have a two person strategy. My husband will play with him and give him treats while I work on his nails.

I was told once to try and do just one nail a day until he gets better use to it, but I do not have the patience for this.
Ditto! DH holds, I move in with the clippers. All clipped as quick as possible then a really yummy treat. It's not nice for anyone but gets done super fast.
Thank you Elodie!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I haven't ever trimmed, or had Jazzys nails trimmed. They don't seem to be too long, so maybe they keep trimmed because she's being on cement and rock all the time?
I could NOT imagine me or anyone else trimming her nails! She lets me play with her feet, sometimes, but I don't even want to try a 65 pound Chow!
It's hard enough for me to trim a 5 pound kittys toe nails!
~ Sally
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

HA HA HA.. I take Sid to the Vets (Colleen is the groomer).. Remember the last time when I had to go pick him up because he was NAUGHTY?? WELL, the only thing he WOULD let them do his clip his nails!! :roll:
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

So I tried the DBF holding and playing and treating while I tried to trim the nails. I have never heard more pathetic yelping and crying... full blown wailing tantrum. It was horrible! I couldn't do it. I just have to take him to someone...
How sad. I am a wimpier Dog-Mom than I am a Human Mom... I could care less if DD is mad at me, what I say goes and its for her "own good" blah blah blah... but to Simon? nope... my spoiled little brat has me whipped! I'm sure DD thinks she got a SERIOUSLY raw deal!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Simon has got your number huh!!! LOL, that is ok, Butters use to try that but I knew I wasn't hurting him. Although if he would have made the same noise when my husband or anyone else had been touching him I would have thought they were killing him. I am not really cut out for it either, but I don't have a choice anymore, he is too hateful to take anywhere else!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

He so owns me. Its just pathetic.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Nails...why do they keep growing, anyway????
:lol: :lol:
Have you ever noticed that when you get out the clippers, then you make eye contact with your, "victim"...they ignore you, or go hide???? :lol: :lol: That's clipper-phobia! :lol:
There isn't much else to say, but they usually hate nail clipping!
It may help to do the trimming when they are really tired, such as after a long walk. I wouldn't even try it when my furkids are full of energy!
As conditioning, it does seem to help them get over "clipper-phobia"
when I get out the clippers very non-chalantly a few times and then put them away or leave them lying around in full view of my furkids. While I do this, I never look at my furkids, I'm ignoring them. The clippers are a non-issue.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Sally suggestion is very good. Once you are able to trim the nails, start walking Simon on more concrete. It's a "natural" emory board for their nails. Just make sure to check his paw pads and massage some cream on it from time to time so it stays soft.

I've been lucky, our chows are okay with nail trimming/clipping.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Just done Millie's & she snorted loads but put up with it as DH was waving hot chicken in front of her :D I even managed to trim the hair inbetween her pads & massage in pad cream. The power of chicken :twisted:
Thank you Elodie!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I wish Chicken still had a hold on Butters. He really isn't a food motivated dog, but sometimes we find the perfect formula, or maybe he decides to just give us a break!! He hates even worse the pad hair being trimmed, I think it tickles him sometimes. I will get that crazy bucking bull kick when it does. LOL
SweetPea Rocks!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Don't tell me that the chicken will loose it's hold TJ.... I may loose my hold on reality if it does!
Last edited by Layla on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Elodie!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

A couple of things that Cheryl (Mr N's groomer) and I joke about is trimming N's nails and giving him a bath - neither one is going to ever happen!
My two get the cement manicure - thank goodness! It's much cheaper and they like it! :lol:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

In the summer the concrete isn't an issue, but we don't do the 5 foot snow burm walk in the winter... Simon nor I feel it is any fun. i'm thinking of trying to file! Or a dremel maybe? At least that way I don't have to worry about cutting to far if he shifts really quick!
I am going to have to cook up some chicken for him now... I need to see if it will have this same magnetic hold on Simon!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

j72 wrote:So I tried the DBF holding and playing and treating while I tried to trim the nails. I have never heard more pathetic yelping and crying... full blown wailing tantrum. It was horrible! I couldn't do it. I just have to take him to someone...
How sad. I am a wimpier Dog-Mom than I am a Human Mom... I could care less if DD is mad at me, what I say goes and its for her "own good" blah blah blah... but to Simon? nope... my spoiled little brat has me whipped! I'm sure DD thinks she got a SERIOUSLY raw deal!
HA HA HA HA.. I didn't clip my daughter's nails either! My sister-in-law did it for me! I was too paranoid that I would clip her tiny little fingers.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

j72 wrote:I am going to have to cook up some chicken for him now... I need to see if it will have this same magnetic hold on Simon!
It has to be roasted chicken from the store Jen. Millie says [-X for trying to 'home cook' the bribes :roll:
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

ROFLMAO!!!! Oooohhh!!! Have I told you lately how much I just LOVE Millie?!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

It could very well loose it's hole on little millie. You might have to graduate to steak soon! LOL.
SweetPea Rocks!!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Uh oh.... we already do steak. Would going to chicken be a step back?! JEEZ!!! I should have started with CHICKEN!!!!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

j72 wrote:...i'm thinking of trying to file! Or a dremel maybe? At least that way I don't have to worry about cutting to far if he shifts really quick!
I believe Bubba does dremel for Gwrol.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

j72 wrote:Uh oh.... we already do steak. Would going to chicken be a step back?! JEEZ!!! I should have started with CHICKEN!!!!
It's all about the flavouring you use... Millie likes herby chicken or McD's burger but will accept a BBQ'd lamb chop. You have to pick your outlet to get maximum bribe value. Mind you, seagull / squirrel tops them all & nothing I hold will ever be more interesting than one of them :roll:
Thank you Elodie!