TREE SAP??

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

TREE SAP??

Post by cheriekynb »

oh for pete's sake!! I got the brush to give Sid's tail a good brushing and what did I find? PINE sap!! You could smell it a mile away! :evil:
I used a mixture of regular shampoo and conditioner and tried to wash it out. That just made it foamy!! I cleaned out all the soap with baby wipes. Then brushed out almost the rest. SO, what can I use to get out tree sap?? It's that sticky pine crap. :evil: :evil: :evil: !!!!!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Crisco is the best thing I have found to remove pine sap. Coconut oil, baby oil, and vasiline also work...I think most oil based products work, but Crisco is still my favorite. We ran into this at Christmas time with a fresh cut tree. Just rub in a little Crisco, then wash with soap and water.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Well, peanut butter takes gum out of children's hair. Maybe it will take sap out of dog tails.
~ Sally
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

THANKS FOR THE TIPS!! :)
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Cherie,

**Using oil such as mentioned as a solvent like, Crisco would be the best, if you can get all of the pine resin that way. Personally, I prefer olive oil. :lol: :lol:

Hey, Amanda...is that Butter flavored Crisco you use, or plain?? :lol: :lol:

I'll add another suggestion to the list, ok?
97% Isophorl Alcohol will remove pine sap.
Saturate the alcohol on 2 or 3 small rags and have them ready, before you "corner" Sid.
He's not going to like the smell much! But, it's as close as you can safely get to a mineral spirit solvent.
Good luck!!!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

My Cheyenne always seems to have whole forests growing out of her tail. But we haven't had pine sap yet...I am just waiting...should be soon with everything else she collects...so at least I am prepared with good tips.

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

bama wrote:Cherie,

**Using oil such as mentioned as a solvent like, Crisco would be the best, if you can get all of the pine resin that way. Personally, I prefer olive oil. :lol: :lol:

Hey, Amanda...is that Butter flavored Crisco you use, or plain?? :lol: :lol:

I'll add another suggestion to the list, ok?
97% Isophorl Alcohol will remove pine sap.
Saturate the alcohol on 2 or 3 small rags and have them ready, before you "corner" Sid.
He's not going to like the smell much! But, it's as close as you can safely get to a mineral spirit solvent.
Good luck!!!
Sher, this is the best idea!! I asked my Dad and he said that the only thing he can think of is terpintine and he said "you can't use THAT"!!

:)