GROOMING FOR THE SHOW RING

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Wes Chow Chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wes Chow Chows »

OK. I have read just about enogh about how bad we (inculding myself) show people are. Yes some of what Sam says is true.(and yes I do know you Sam). But you have to take what you have heard with a grain of salt. I too have seen some of what he says but to say that it happens and that MOST breeders do these things is FLASE. I have been showing Chows now for going on 5 years and have had the breed for more then 15 years. You can come see and handle any of my dogs show or not as I have both. I have breed with the creams in the past and hope to again in the near future. Alot of the thought behind the nose and other pigment is a big debate amoung breeders. I think its been 2 years ago now that the Chow Chow Club tried to get the AKC standard changed to allow the Creams to show with what is termed the correct nose color. Which is BLACK to Dudley. This lost by about 15 votes. I think when we can bring this before the group again I hope we can get it passed. They have allowed the Blues to show with the slate colored noses for sometime now.

Temperments Yes I have seen some bad but have seen a lot more good then Bad.

Trimming. While you should not Sculpt your dog . The neating of the coat(taking off of the fly aways and cleaning up of the undercoat)I would not call sculpting.

Thought I would share my thoughts.

WES
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Boy Sam you sure get in allot of trouble, People just hate hearing the truth.

I think the AKC and all breeders should be shut down and Showing should be illegal. All the AKC represents is a bunch of hobbyist and profiteers that have destroyed some breeds and made the breed absolutely worthless except for Show. We all know the minute any breed of dog wins best in anything its a cash register going off to all breeders good or bad and by the end of the month the shelters are full of that winning breed. The supposedly good breeders walk around talking about how they are bettering the breed but if they hadn't screwed it up in the first place with standards there wouldn't be anything to better, the breed would still be functional. To me the AKC is no better then the hunters that are hunting caged animals, one is killing them the other is destroying them. Just sharing my thoughts, Gee hope no one gets offended.

Messing around with a dogs nose color, Where does idiotic stuff like that come from, oh let me guess must be AKC.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

WES, glad you can join in! You have personally seen at least one breeder/handler color a Chows nose, and they did it at a national. That same person has done a lot of wrong, and they are not the only one, I have a big list that just seems to keep getting bigger the more I stay involved.

You should know the mentality of the typical show breeder by now, they are not saints by any stretch of the imagination.

Glad to see your red boy OFA'd, that is a start.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Igor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Igor »

Layla,
I now who was that nasty growling dog at Seattle show. I'm ashamed to say that was our Mishka. That just shows how bad handler I'm. :oops: I was very nervious, he saw that. He may be did not feel well that day. He is very friendly with people. He loves to be petted. Before and after the ring that day I allowed many strangers adults and kids to pet him. He was happy.
At the same he tries to be alpha with other dogs. He was very upset that other dog, whom he doesn't like, was approaching to close to us from behind.
Anyway such behaviour of him we don't like, and we continue to work on this. We continue to go to conformation classes and show him. Process of training is as important for us as a result. We are going to continue to go to classes and show him to put him again again into a tough situation when there are many dogs around and very often there is bitch in a heat near by. Another problem at the dog show is that dogs are not properly introduced to each other. When we walk with Mishka and he is allowed to smell other dog there is never any sign of aggression after that.
Last weekend we have 4 shows in a row and Mishka was good 3 times (not perfect) and so-so only ones.
I feel bad that Mishka looked so nasty that day and may be added to perception about how naughty chows are. I hope that his behaviour ouside the ring gave him some credit.
As for trimming. We never trim him. Just around pads. Chows are beautiful naturally. But alot of grooming. Ideally each hair should be brushed and then chow would look almost too perfect.
Mishka and his family
Wes Chow Chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wes Chow Chows »

Yes Sam I am Glad Andrew passed OFA also. He is a very nice boy. With a great attiude to boot. And like I said in the previous post I have seen things that have been done. But not so much as to condem all breeders or even most. We dont do this with other sports(ie baseball and Steriods or Football and the same). So why is it that this is so differnt. Some try and play outside the rules and when caught they will pay the price. Until then IF you dont like what they are doing or what they produce stay away from it. It just that easy.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

WES, haven't you noticed, I haven't been hanging around you guys much?

Why is this so much different? Because people are playing with other peoples lives and their pets lives when they do corrupt things and do the wrong thing, that's why!

How many breeders do you know that release the negative results on the dogs when they are tested? Is it right for them to pass on the genetic defects to the next breeder without informing them first? Is it right for breeders to alter dogs so that they can be shown and pass that on to the next breeder without their knowledge? Is it right for people to cheat and not play by the rules while the very people that are supposed to enforce the rules stand by and do nothing when they know it's going on? Is it right for mentors of the sport to be altering dogs and teach new people that get into the sport about such activities? Is it right for the AKC representatives to turn a blind eye to the corruption in the sport when someone protests because there is a top handler on the dog?

You folks just keep doing what you are doing, and when you sell a dog to someone that has to be put down because of serious health problems you remember what I said!
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
CloudeSkie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CloudeSkie »

To be fair to all concerned... let's rephrase the words we use - let's not say ALL people are like this - generalizations are way too harsh... let's only put it as being PREDOMINANT to say the least... :roll:

"Vanity is man's greatest sin" - Al Pacino in the Devil's Advocate
kryptonite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kryptonite »

Jeff&Peks wrote:
bunch of hobbyist and profiteers that have destroyed some breeds and made the breed absolutely worthless except for Show. We all know the minute any breed of dog wins best in anything its a cash register going off to all breeders good or bad and by the end of the month the shelters are full of that winning breed. The supposedly good breeders walk around talking about how they are bettering the breed but if they hadn't screwed it up in the first place with standards there wouldn't be anything to better, the breed would still be functional.
so true! we have lots of those in our country. They join their chows in shows then brags about it afterwards, subsequently selling chowlings from their kennels at the highest price tsk tsk =(
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

kryptonite wrote:
Jeff&Peks wrote:
bunch of hobbyist and profiteers that have destroyed some breeds and made the breed absolutely worthless except for Show. We all know the minute any breed of dog wins best in anything its a cash register going off to all breeders good or bad and by the end of the month the shelters are full of that winning breed. The supposedly good breeders walk around talking about how they are bettering the breed but if they hadn't screwed it up in the first place with standards there wouldn't be anything to better, the breed would still be functional.
so true! we have lots of those in our country. They join their chows in shows then brags about it afterwards, subsequently selling chowlings from their kennels at the highest price tsk tsk =(
@kryptonite: is the avatar u r using is ur reall dog?? wow...so handsome...

anyway...I wanna say 1 or 2 things bout show rings...I hate those improper manipulation done by the breeders just to profit from selling their "modified" puppies/dogs...we must win the competition in a healthy way....FAIR n SQUARE...call me stupid call me naive...WATEVER....natural way all along is the way

I love my dog, baby is quite a catch I think, thus I'm planning 2 try 2 join a show ring competition...in the right way...if I loose, so be it (baby's nose is pinkish, not deep black)...there's nothing wrong in attempting 2 win a show ring...if done in a correct way. I agree w/ CloudeSkie statement....GENERALIZATION is the mother of screw up...we shouldn't do that, not all people who enters a show ring is a Fu***** manipulator...unless we have certain SOLID proof...if they r proved 2 be guilty, then let me join in the joy of "HARASSING" em w/ my blunt n sharp words

hey hey let me remind u guys that we r here to show our adoration to a breed called CHOW CHOW...so I think instead of mocking each other...u know what I would say next rite?!

pizz out
Wes Chow Chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wes Chow Chows »

h0n33y I think I remeber you saying in another post you are not in the USA. If so you may not have any trouble with the nose issue as some of the other countries have changed to allow the dudley nose. At any rate good luck. Also if the photo in the post is your Chow you should have no trouble. I like the look.

Wes
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by h0n33y »

Wes Chow Chows wrote:h0n33y I think I remeber you saying in another post you are not in the USA. If so you may not have any trouble with the nose issue as some of the other countries have changed to allow the dudley nose. At any rate good luck. Also if the photo in the post is your Chow you should have no trouble. I like the look.

Wes
AMEN to that I'll have no prob ^_^