Cleaning Ears

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Cleaning Ears

Post by dchernandez »

Hi,
Does anybody have any special technique as far as cleaning our chowlings' ears? Anything you use that helps?

Claudia & Riley
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Dc, I bought a solution from the vet that you just pour a little into the ear massage the ear and then they shake it out, I havn't used it that much, If I remember from this same topic a few years ago that method didn't go over to big, people were using cotton swabs and baby wipes, just have to be careful what you are poking with the swabs.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I also have the solution my vet gave me for Butters ears. I only use it when he is shaking his head a lot. He really hates that stuff in his ears and it stinks. But it works. Usually one dose will do him for a while.
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

We used the solution is mentioning when we first got Special because he had an ear infection (among a slew of other things), but in general we just use cotton balls once a week. Hubby gently cleans Special's ears with them, Special LOVES it and has been ear infection free. He leans into it, it's like he's getting his ears scratched. Very cute. :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Thanks so much for the advice...awesome links bubba.

Thanks again. I'll have to give it a try this weekend :)
Claudia & Riley
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I've found that using cotton make-up remover pads works better than cotton balls, because they are easier to hang on to, and you don't run the risk of accidentally "pinching" any part of the ear to get them out. You can pore the cleaning solution on the pad and actually allow it to drip into the ear as well and while keeping the pad in the ear massage the solution in the deeper part of the ear.

The real trick however is to get your dog used to you sticking your fingers and thumb into their ear. I do it all the time, while I'm petting them, that way, accept for the solution being colder than my hands, (but not by much, I have cold hands) they are used to me doing stuff to their ears.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!