HELLLLLLLLLLLLLP !!! Husband made a mess out of our chow!!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

fatima
Rank 0
Rank 0

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLP !!! Husband made a mess out of our chow!!

Post by fatima »

:twisted:
I am VERY, VERY ANGRY AT MY HUSBAND!!
We are currently living in Germany, getting ready to move back to the states (we're Military). Well i had a grooming appointment set up for our chow "Bear". When my husband declared we have spent too much on this move (which we haven't) so he decided to cut his hair himself. I told him not to and he wouldn't listen........ to make a long story short. Our chow looks like our 6 year old took a pair of clippers to him!! When i pointed out how he messed it up he says we should keep his appointment so they can fix it.... I think he is really hoping they can fix it.....
So how do i help my chow with his hair? How can i let it grow out evenly? To make it worse, last year in May he went to the groomers to get his coat cut off (which i didn't know YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO DO!!) Well it's been almost a year and his hair FINALLY grew out (it was bad, that he had bald spots) NOW my husband screwed it up! He knows how long it took for Bear to grow it out!

Any advice PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE ??!!
Mom in crisis
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

All you can do is ask the groomers to even it out as much as possible and then wait. Only time is going to help. Just got to let the hair have time to grow. I would just brush allot and wait.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

In December, sometime, Sid had to be shaved across his back down both shoulders, a spot on his right hip (MAJOR HOT SPOTS) and on his front leg (for and IV when he was neutered)... The hair IS growing back but it's SLOW, that's for sure, but, it IS growing back. :) I don't do anything special except brush him every day, at least 15 minutes worth, and now he goes to a groomer once a month.
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

The hair will return, it just seems to take for ever. Hopefully the groomer can fix his boo boo :roll: When Cinnamon found us we took her to the groomer to remove all the mats and prickers. They shaved her, we also did not know it was not a good thing. It has taken a while but her hair is looking better everyday.

Thank you and your "in the dog house husband" for serving our country. The last few years have made this life choice much harder then it normally is. It is a very hard life being away from the family and friends.

Larry and Terrina Harris
1974 - 1994 USN Retired
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

What are "prickers?"
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Prickers - Little nasty weeds that have balls with spikes. Kind of looks like a sea urchin. When you try to pull them out with your fingers they will even stick to your skin. darn things will stick to anything. They grow all over Michigan. Do a search of Michigan weeds prickers. I tried to find a picture but was not successful.

Larry
chris

Post by chris »

Oh man Larry, those things suck... thats why I hate taking the dogs for walks on narrow paths through the woods... :roll:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

The little sticker bushes with BB sized cling ons are almost as bad, like little bits of velcro. Try Pickers instead of Prickers. Like tiny porcupines...

Your Chows hair will grow in evenly. Remember, it isn't like human hair, it reaches its length and stops, no matter how short and choppy it starts out.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I hate those stupid prickers/pickers too. And Firesong can find everyone within a 20 mile radius...neither Darkwind or Dreamdancer get them and they walk the same path! Too Weird! Anyway I found that a pair of smooth leather gloves helps while I'm cleaning them off her. I use their steel comp to get them off. Works good. And no there is no blasted way to get them off without some pulling....
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!