Guillotine vs Bypass Nail Clipper

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Guillotine vs Bypass Nail Clipper

Post by dchernandez »

Hi,

So I've noticed that Riley's dew claw is getting long again and its time to trim it. Last time I took him to the groomers and lets just say Riley did not talk to me for a week. He didn't even want to get in the car :oops:

I was looking at the Petsmart website and they have a Bamboo brand nail clipper but it gives you the option of getting the guillotine nail clipper or the bypass nail clipper. What's the difference? Which one will work better? :wink:

Thanks everydbody
Claudia & Riley
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I just got the quilotine type and I like it because you can't get too much of the nail clipped at once. Which will help you to not cut the quick. Works good on my little guy cause he has long dew claws too. Firesong somehow wears hers down but he doesn't.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Thanks Victory I'll get the guillotine nail clipper then..unless anybody else has an opinion :)
Claudia & Riley
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I can't remember which is which :oops: , but we have the one (also by bamboo) that does not close all the way around. So it's not a cirle, it's just more or less looks like scissors. We had to get this kind because we had a similar problem when we got Special. His dew claws were so long that they were almost growing into his pad so we couldn't reach behind them (with the clippers that close all the way around), so that's why we went with the other ones. We like them and Special has no objection.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Mika's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mika's Mom »

I noticed tha our Bamboo brand guillotine nail trimmer has started to "dent" where we cut her nails...not sure if it was the best investment?? I was thinking of taking it back...maybe our girl has hard nails? Ha ha
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I use the guillotine kind...have had it for years.
JR has always been great about having his nails done.
All Cheyenne needs doing once a year is her dew claws and she gave me no trouble at all!

Sharon
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Good information. I've noticed that Jazzys dew claws and her claws in general are getting very long. I will look at both kinds and see if either can work for me.
Thanks!
~ Sally
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Being scared to cut too short, I take mine to the groomer. They swear by the guillotine type becuase the nail can't skate out of position.
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

UPDATE: So I bought the bypass kind and it worked just fine. I had no trouble clipping Riley's nails. My husband was holding him down and rubbing Riley's tummy while I clipped his nails and it all worked out great :D
Claudia & Riley
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

I forgot to mention...I got the Bamboo brand one and it was great. It comes with a nail file and quik stop that is part of the nail clippers. Really cool.. 8)
Claudia & Riley