What kind of Shampoo is best?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

What kind of Shampoo is best?

Post by Guest »

We take our dog Koda to the groomers periodically(I groom him the rest of the time) but after we get our new pup, I would like to groom them both myself all the time. Well, maybe let them go to the groomers a couple times a year. Anyway, I was wondering what kind of shampoo is really good for a chow? Also, my trainer told me to give my dogs flaxseed oil for their fur? Does anyone here use that? Oh, and one more thing, I have heard that over grooming can make the coat not as fluffy, how much should I groom my chow to let him have the best coat possible?? Sorry for all the questions, you'd think I never owned a dog before! LOL I get this way everytime I get a new dog! I can't help it! lol
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I take Mr. N to the groomers every 5-8 weeks. I do brush and rake him weekly but he is very stubborn about making himself completely accessible. In other words, his tail is off limits 95% of the time and I can only brush when it's time for "good night" - at which time he is lying against the door and I can only get to brush one side. Mr. N has never, ever had a bath. He hates water and runs from it.
I didn't take Mr. N to the groomers until he was about 10-11 months old. He was a terror at his first appointment. He still has to be muzzled but he will occassionally bark at the groomer during the session. As much displeasure he shows, when I get him ready to go to the groomers - he is very excited and can't wait to get out of the car.
So as you can tell, Mr. N has an attitude :twisted: and bathing - if that was to even be considered - would be traumatic for all of us :evil: . (Mr. N's grooming appointments are 2-3 hours long and I stay there helping to hold him the entire time he is being brushed and trimmed).
I'm sure you won't have the "issues" if you start the grooming immediately with your chowling (versus waiting as long as I did).
As for his fur - the groomer loves his fur. The natural oils keep his fur in great condition. Even though he is cream - he doesn't get dirty. Although he sleeps indoors - he is out in the backyard or under the deck during the day. He just doesn't seem to get dirty...well, except his butt - I have the groomer trim that area to mimimize the possibility of it getting messy. Even then I have to sometimes chase him with a brush to make him presentable for the evening walk.
My chow mix - Shiloh has been to the groomers once. She doesn't have Mr. N's attitude but she was very stressed :( . The groomer said that it really wasn't necessary to have her come in unless she needed some trimming. Shiloh allows me to brush her. I use the slicker brush, a rake that has rotating teeth and sometimes the Mars coat king to strip out any matts.
I do have to catch her at a good time to do her tail - usually when she's feeling too lazy to move away.

Ask your groomer to recommend good shampoos, etc. Mr. N's groomer goes to http://www.dog.com for some of her supplies. I have also purchased a few products there, too.

Good luck - I'm sure you will do well as long as you start early.

Karen

Post by Guest »

yes, we are planning on taking him to the groomers right after we get him because I am sure he will need it! LOL
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Chewie came to live with us last january. We do all of the grooming ourselves. That consists of a bath about every 2-3 months, a quick half hour grooming for mats and shedding every other day, and a long, serious grooming every week.

The bath we decided works best outside of our home. We don't own a big dryer so we take him to a pet store in town called super pets. They have a room equipped with a showering area, grooming area and 3 huge blow dryers. We use a sesitive skin shampoo (usually one with oatmeal) which you have to rinse a million times. we also use a conditioner (you have to rinse that too) because he seems to have no itching at all when we use it. I can look up the brand if you'd like me too. The whole process of the bath, grooming & drying takes about 3 hours.

Chows are a very clean dog naturally —If they don't have bowel trouble and aren't playing in the mud & if you keep them well groomed they don't need a lot of bathing.

Chewie seems to like his grooming time. He climbs right up on to the table and after I lay him down, he "purrs" for a while (that is until I hit a matted section!) Our breeder groomed him from a tiny puppy and we kept up with it everyday when he was itty bitty. It got him used to the grooming and I actually think of it as good bonding time for the two of us. He is even fine with getting his paws trimmed and his nails clipped.

Hope that helps! Let me know if I can help any more!

Mandy & Chewie
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: What kind of Shampoo is best?

Post by Shane »

ChowLover wrote:We take our dog Koda to the groomers periodically(I groom him the rest of the time) but after we get our new pup, I would like to groom them both myself all the time. Well, maybe let them go to the groomers a couple times a year. Anyway, I was wondering what kind of shampoo is really good for a chow? Also, my trainer told me to give my dogs flaxseed oil for their fur? Does anyone here use that? Oh, and one more thing, I have heard that over grooming can make the coat not as fluffy, how much should I groom my chow to let him have the best coat possible?? Sorry for all the questions, you'd think I never owned a dog before! LOL I get this way everytime I get a new dog! I can't help it! lol

Um really their is no best shampoo. The only way you can find what best ones you prefer is to try different kinds. I heard of dry shampoo but its alright.
Since I live in the tropics its warm and parasites are a propblem in this time. I use a flea and tick shampoo that works quite good. The coats condition also in effected by the dogs diet. I use the hartz vitamin and also cod liver oil. Its great for coat and nails and it gives the coat a good sheen. Yes if you groom to much espeacially in the shedding season you will remove majority of the under coat which gives it the "bounce". Try grooming once a week. Also bathe your chows it removes dirt which dulls the coats color and also when they don't bathe they get the "doggy odor" I read that a chow should be bathed once or twice a year. That is a bunch of garbage I bathe my chows once a week and their coat doesn't dry out like I was told.

Shane