Momma Chow losing coat after having pups?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Momma Chow losing coat after having pups?

Post by Guest »

I just saw a current picture of the mom of my puppy and I am wondering if it is common to lose alot of coat after having pups? When I first saw her,(pic of her) she was very full and here she is now.....Does that look pretty typical of a mom with a litter of 5 week old pups?

arnis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by arnis »

My Silvia is 7 weeks going on 8 weeks pregnant and is driving me crazy.. she is pulling and scratching all her hair out... i was told this is normal.. she is bald from front legs to back legs all underneath...
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yes. It is typical and normal... according to my Zhuyo's breeder. When I first visited the brothers, their Mommy's coat was as you described. Her breeder said that it was normal and forewarned me of how it looked so that I did not freak out.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I read that when a chow mummy is expecting chowlings, all the fur on her tummy falls out.
This solved a question Fred had been asking. When we got Milly and Mabel we noticed that all their tummies were covered in fur - not like other dogs who have bald tummies with all their teats showing. Fred puzzled how chow babies suckled and when I read the piece about chow pregnancy, I read that bit to him.
Nature is pretty brilliant isn't it! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)