Tips on bathing your chow?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Tips on bathing your chow?

Post by Samorrathis »

It's been 15 years sence we have owned chows for that matter any dog, so i need some bathing advice. Nanuk is almost 6 months and we have been bringing him to the groomer every 2-4 weeks. This last time we went it was quite more expensive and she said the price will go up to $50 :shock: by the time he is full grown!

He rather sleep outside, so in order to keep my alergies under control I would like to keep him as clean as possible. Brushing alone isn't enough. I would like to try a self serve salon where they supply everything bath, shampoo etc for $15. Well the problem is I read all these horor stories about making sure to rinse very very well as well as making sure they are completely dry or you may cause hot spots. I think I am ready to try this bathing thing myself ( he absolutly loves the water) just conserned of not doing it correctly. Can you please share any bathing tips with me?

Thanks in advance!

Sammy
chowluver
Rank 0
Rank 0

bathing Chow

Post by chowluver »

I've got two Chows that both love water and enjoy there baths. I have also been told about the drying but don't believe that it is much of a factor. Rinsing is very important though. You can hardly rinse enough, it takes a long time to get all the soap out thoroughly. I can dry my two as much as I want and they will be straight back into the water, ie: pool, sprinklers, lake, rain or whatever other source is available, sometimes they would be in the Kiddie pool 6 or 8 times a day when it's warm and once or twice even when it's quite cold out. I certainly don't dry them every time that they get wet and have started only towel drying them after baths with no ill results at all. I have noticed excessive itching/scratching a couple of times and found that it was simply a poor rinse job and the soap dried and irritated them. I hope this might help???
I've also had an outside tap put onto my hot water heater pipe so that i can use a "y" connectorin order to mix hot and cold water so they can have a nice warm bath even when it's cold out and it seems to help with the rinsing also, warm water, that is. Good luck.

Matthew
No matter where you go, there you are.