Shedding ... how long does it last??

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lynbo09
Rank 0
Rank 0

Shedding ... how long does it last??

Post by Lynbo09 »

Hi!

My male Chow is just over a year old and is shedding his coat, I know this this normal but just wondered how long it last for, It’s been a good few weeks and its still going?

Thanks
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Shedding ... how long does it last??

Post by Laura »

It goes on until you can't believe they have any hair left. Mine go the groomers once a month which really helps but I still brush and brush and it just keeps coming. So I guess 'all summer' is my answer. :)
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Qz_Sioux
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Qz_Sioux »

My chows are brushed two times weekly. We only bathe them if they are really dirty. I wish I could say mine only shed "all summer" but mine shed constantly! We cover our furniture when we don't have guests so that I can just pick them up and toss them in the wash to get rid of the hair. We vacuum more often per week than we brush our chows. Like Laura said, they shed until you can't believe they have any hair left. One of the "blessings" of having a chow... you can spin their fur and make blankets and such from it =)
furball
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by furball »

You could try using a furminator (or a similar tool) to brush your dog once every 2 weeks when the shredding is bad. We find it helps a bit.

But you need to be careful with these tools as overuse can damage the coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max, Ritz, Shelly & Hunter