Any advice on nail clipping?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

JayndGunnie83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Any advice on nail clipping?

Post by JayndGunnie83 »

Usually my Chow boy is wonderful about letting me groom him, play with his paws, massage his gums, and clean his ears and eye area..but I cannot clip his nails. He gets very frightened and the situation quickly becomes dangerous. He gets panicked if he even sees the nail clipper.. I'm not sure how to get him used to the process. Nail clipping has never hurt him either. :/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Any advice on nail clipping?

Post by Rory's Dad »

Dremel. Grind the nail on a regular basis rather than clipping. This simulates the regular wear that walking gets the nail. Its also a ton easier for you and the dog. Very little chance of getting the quick. I use a cordless model that is fairly quiet, so it doesn't stress my dogs out. Just make sure the paw fur is trimmed 1st so you don't catch any stray fur in to the rotating barrel. There are a ton on videos on youtube that demonstrate how easy it is.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

We do like Rory's Dad. The first few times I had to have my husband help hold him down. He actually rubbed his belly and gave him treats while I dremelled the nails.

Now Chance just lays there. It took several times before he realized it was no big deal.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
JayndGunnie83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: RE: Re: Any advice on nail clipping?

Post by JayndGunnie83 »

Rory's Dad wrote:Dremel. Grind the nail on a regular basis rather than clipping. This simulates the regular wear that walking gets the nail. Its also a ton easier for you and the dog. Very little chance of getting the quick. I use a cordless model that is fairly quiet, so it doesn't stress my dogs out. Just make sure the paw fur is trimmed 1st so you don't catch any stray fur in to the rotating barrel. There are a ton on videos on youtube that demonstrate how easy it is.
That's awesome! I'll go get one as soon as possible. Thanks so much!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by perriejinnie »

This is actually a quite difficult situation when your pets don't let you clip their nails. You can also go for the Pet Grooming Tips that can suggest what to do and what not to do while clipping your pets nail. Most of the time it is a terrifying situation so I simply use silent trimmers to clip their toe nails, as they are scared of sound of the trimmers. They are mere kids that are scared of dangers that can hurt them so take special care of them while clipping their nails.
I love Chow Chow :P
Lester
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lester »

According your situations, i suggest you try dog nail grinder with super low noise. :D :D Good Luck.
Lester
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lester »

Cutting the nails of dogs can be a painful task especially when your pet has huge black or brown nails. A dog nail grinder is an easy way to smoothen the nails much before they become large and also save on expensive visits to the groomer. My dog like to use them.It's painless