How to brush teeth of Chows

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

I can put toohpaste on my fingers in both hands and then manually massage the external section of Walter's teeth but when I try using his toothbrush he really doesn't like it. How do I keep him calm and train him to want the toothbrush for his teeth?
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How to brush teeth of Chows

Post by Pinoy51 »

I haven't heard of a Chow who likes toothbrush :lol: .
Will be interesting to see if someone managed to do that.
I gave up and give half a denta stick in the evening to everyone.
Of course there are people who don't recommend doing this.
I guess one ingredient isn't healthy I have to check it again.
So far my experience is positive and all my guys don't have any smell.
Best regards
Pinoy51
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Lol, I knew I wasn't the only one! It's just that I noticed that some of Walter's teeth have yellow stains on them which I assume is tartar just like in people. He doesn't have any bad breath though.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes, the yellow is tartar. No bad breath is a great sign. The dental sticks are good once in a while. But I wouldn't rely on them alone, and do check the ingredients. You can get finger tip brushes. They are basically a plastic bristle that fits on the end of your fingers. A good canine toothpaste is necessary. Fortunately the come in great doggy flavors like chicken or beef. Since Walter is already accepting of the fingers in mouth you are onto a great start.

I know with my dogs, they get a diet of raw type foods...chicken, turkey, etc. There is no friction involved with eating these foods, they are too soft. So I need to watch to make sure that they get regular kibble too. They tend to scrub the teeth naturally as they chew it. Make sure Walter gets a regular mix of kibble style food in addition to the teeth cleaning that you are able to do.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

I have those finger tip brushes and he just doesn't want them. I'm not sure how to introduce it to him but yes I can brush his teeth for a while with canine toothpaste that is strawberry-falvored. He accepts the toothpaste but while I'm brushing with my fingers and he already licked all the toothpaste then he tends to back out from the process.

Walter only eats keeble (TOTW) and liver treats when I train him. I haven't introduced any type of food to him yet so I'm not sure what caused the tartar. Any ideas?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

The tartar is just a residue of foods. The saliva in a dogs mouth begins the process of breaking down the food for digestion. The teeth do to next step.

Foods that are coarser tend to help scrub the teeth as they chew, but can't do the entire job. LOL, if you could get him to floss and use mouthwash...

If he starts to back out of the brushing you need to be firm with him. Having a 2nd person to assist is really helpful. Since he likes the taste of the paste, I would hold him by the collar (I use grooming tables and a slip lead to keep my dogs upright, but that doesn't make sense for everyone). Don't make it unpleasant for him, but keep him focused until you are done. If he gets really freaked out, then stop for a while and come back to it.

Dogs are not going to have glowing white teeth regardless of what you do. You just want to get ahead of it and make sure they don't have any real issues. Vets do full dental cleaning under anesthesia for a reason, and they only do it when it becomes a medical necessity.
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Ok, I'll be firm with him and see how it goes. I'll report back.
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

I mainly use the finger tip toothbrush with a chicken flavoured toothpaste. I occasionally use an actual dog tooth brush, but Moose doesn't like it as much and I find it harder to maneuver.

Since Walter is accepting your finger with toothpaste but not the finger toothbrush, maybe try something in between, like a thin dampened cloth with the toothpaste on it. I have heard some people have success and the cloth gets more tartar off than a finger alone.

Keep us posted with how things go!
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Great! I will try that suggestion and will report back. Thanks.
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Sorry, I just wanted to clarify in case I didn't make it clear. I would put the thin wash cloth over your finger. So walter still feels like it is just your finger for the most part. I hope you have good success!
kevindd992002
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kevindd992002 »

Yup, thanks. Although, he'll definitely see the cloth and will be extra curious about it as expected, lol.
RandalllHet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RandalllHet »

Thanks for all of your replies, but isnt 2 hrs. to long to have a dog muzzled?
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Many dogs and puppies need to be started slowly. It’s an odd sensation for them and with a little positive training you’ll be able to brush your dog’s teeth without issue. Choose the right toothbrush and dog-specific toothpaste.