How much hair does a healthy chow looses?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

invader7
Rank 0
Rank 0

How much hair does a healthy chow looses?

Post by invader7 »

Hello, im in the search of a breed in order to buy a puppy.

A lot of people discourage me from getting chow chow because as they said they are problematic dogs!

Im asking here because i dont believe what people say! I want this breed like crazy but i dont want to "destroy" my day :p

How much fur will my dog loose every day? It will leave hair in the hands every time i play with him?
Will leave hair everywhere in the house ? My mom will kill me!!
How much fur?? O.O

Please try to scare me in order to be prepared!

Thanks!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How much hair does a healthy chow looses?

Post by Rory's Dad »

Bottom line answer to your question is LOTS.

A rough coated Chow will shed hair in bunches. To control loose fur throughout the house, consider a full brushing at least every 2nd day. Chow puppies will blow out the puppy fur somewhere around 8 - 10 months, and then depending on your climate, will blow seasonal coats 1 or 2 times a year. Even with regular brushing and bathing, they are going to leave fur around the house.

Good luck finding any breed that doesn't, because the world is full of false advertising about breeds that don't shed or are allergen-free (maybe hairless breeds an exception). But a Chow doesn't really fit into that argument at all. You could consider a Smooth Chow, which are less work grooming and don't lose as much fur, but they still will shed a fair amount. It's just the nature of dogs.
invader7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by invader7 »

Rory's Dad wrote:Bottom line answer to your question is LOTS.

Good luck finding any breed that doesn't, because the world is full of false advertising about breeds that don't shed or are allergen-free (maybe hairless breeds an exception). But a Chow doesn't really fit into that argument at all. You could consider a Smooth Chow, which are less work grooming and don't lose as much fur, but they still will shed a fair amount. It's just the nature of dogs.
Thanks for answering , im a big fan of the breed mainly because of their appearance , till now im strongly positive in buying one but the fur issue is a big drawback for me !

Yes i read about the smooth chows but i cant imagine how much fur is LOTS or LITTLE , so i cant risk it , it would be very hard for me to brush my dog every day or every 2nd day.

I know every dog would leave some fur but i dont want a ball in my hand every time i try to play with him/her, i can handle with some hair here and over... For example , american bulldog or american staffordshire terrier has a very short hair type and is supposed to leave little amount of fur.

Thanks

Thanks !
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

90% of the appearance of a chow is the fur, so you have a bit of a juxtaposition there. I would estimate that even a smooth chow is going to shed more than any of the bully breeds. Maybe a chinese crested or a Xoloitzcuintle.
invader7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by invader7 »

Rory's Dad wrote:90% of the appearance of a chow is the fur, so you have a bit of a juxtaposition there. I would estimate that even a smooth chow is going to shed more than any of the bully breeds. Maybe a chinese crested or a Xoloitzcuintle.
Hmm it seems i might have to look to another breed , sadly :/

Thanks for your answers !