Trim or not Trim

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Trim or not Trim

Post by alicehuang830 »

Hi
Question about trimming hair. I live in Houston Tx, should I look into trimming Romeo's hair at all? I am absolutely against shaving...but not sure if people give their chows a trim?

Thanks
Alice
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Trim or not Trim

Post by 612guy »

I know long time show breeders that shave their dogs in the summer and they say their chows hair comes back just fine. They seems happier too because it cooler. Bathing and grooming would get a lot of fur out but if you want to trim I say go ahead. I live in Minnesota and we only get an average of 20 days over 90 degrees in the summer, Texas is way hotter and can see why you asked. Hope you are doing ok because of the flooding down there, it's been on the news.

Brutus
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alicehuang830 »

Thanks for your input! I don't know if I will trim....just hard for me to trust any groomer unless I can just stand there and watch him/her do it the entire time?! lol I love his fur I brush him everyday and he loves it...Romeo just lays down and closes his eyes while I brush him. The vet shaved a little patch of hair on his leg for IV when he got neutered I noticed it took awhile to grow all the way back, thats why I was on the fence about even trimming him....

I live in a high rise building, so my home wasn't effected by the flood. I was unable to go to work though, all the freeways were under water.....it was really crazy to see to semi truck floating on the freeway and cars submerged. Thank you for asking ! :P
jmoreton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jmoreton »

We live in Magnolia, Tx. We have 3 chows. We don't shave them. We have them groomed. We have had 3 other chows before. We had shaved them. I didn't like how their coats grew back. To me just grooming them leaves a much better coat. We brush them daily. The only problem is when their winter coats come out. Lot's of hair. But wouldn't change it.
phusitep
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by phusitep »

You're a man of initiative.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Living in Houston (just down the street from Magnolia... as Texas goes) we do not trim either.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye