Grooming puppy

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jodiandblue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Grooming puppy

Post by jodiandblue »

Hey! I have a 3 month old chow chow and his fur is starting to slowly transition into his more adult like fur.
Just looking for some tips on what kind of techniques to use when grooming him and what types of tools I should be using at this time??

Thanks!
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (196.9 KiB) Viewed 8824 times
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Grooming puppy

Post by Pinoy51 »

Lot's of tips in the forum if you look for elder posts.
There are the tools described and techniques.
a few basic tips:
Very important to get your pup used to being groomed, so don't wait until everything is messed up and expect him to be calm for 30 minutes until you figured out what to do. Start with gentle brushing and get him used to scissor and the other tools.
Most difficult is getting them used to hair dryer, nail clipping and removing/cutting matten (entangled fur).
Also here I started introducing all the tools and procedures without a real need of doing it, so I could stop anytime I rewarded patience and in the beginning even the fact that they didn't try to walk away when I presented all the "scary" items to them.
Keep on looking through the forum you will find what you need.
Best regards
Pinoy51
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

I groom in multiple short sessions throughout the day. That way it doesn't get tedious for either of us. I found a comb best when he was younger (2-6 months) and a pin-brush easier when his puppy fuzz was mostly gone. But I have smooth coated Chow, so you may need other tools.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Finlay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Finlay »

Hi everyone! Jodiandblue we have the same purebread dog! At first I suggest to get him used to be groomed, the I usually groom him every evening before bed ;) with a gentle brush where I spray some flax seed oil! Let me know!

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Grooming is an important part of your dog's health, with regular brushing and combing helping to remove dead hair and dirt and prevent matting. Dogs who are regularly groomed tend to have a healthier and shinier coat because it stimulates the blood supply to the skin.
daiveel19
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by daiveel19 »

Hey Guys,

Please answer me this below question-related to dog grooming:

What occurs amid the arrangement? and also Which pets truly require proficient grooming.?

Thank you in advance.