Home-Grooming

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kylea
Rank 0
Rank 0

Home-Grooming

Post by Kylea »

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some tips on trimming our chow at home rather than ever taking him to a groomer. I've known one too many people who have taken their various breeds of long-haired dogs to the groomer and they've ended up being shaved without asked. I know there are also wonderful groomers out there but I just refuse to take the chance with our chow. Therefore, since shaving a chow is against the entire purpose of the beautiful breed's appearance I'd like to get some advice on how to trim (maybe just an inch or so) of hair on a chow?

We don't have our puppy yet but it's my understanding that their hair (if never shaved) does not stop growing so little trims/touch-ups are necessary. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

So if anyone has advice on how they trim their chow at home I'd love to hear!

Thank you! :)
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Home-Grooming

Post by Pinoy51 »

I groom my Chows at home for the exact same reason.
Chows are so called double coated dogs, they have have a thick wooly underfur and the long top fur which protects them from rain,snow etc. the underfur protects the skin from getting sun burned.
You need to take care of both furs.
The underfur requires a rake to brush out the dead hairs, which I do at least three times a week. every six month this underfur changes and quite a lot of wool comes off.
the top fur need regular brushing and de-matting. So you need a regular pin brush and fine brush or comb, plus sissor to take care of the top fur. My Chows love the brushing, which I do every night before they go to sleep.
I regular cut the fur under the paws and trim off the mane when it gets too long, as it will dip into the water bowl and gets constantly wet if too long. for hygienic reasons I keep the fur around the backside short and then do trim at the lower legs to also keep the fur from getting too long, so that's where the sissor is needed for my guys. and of course to cut out entangled fur after I brushed out as much as possible with the fine comb.
Hope that helps.
for your pup start very early to get him used to grooming, make it a play and reward if he let you brush him, no need to get too serious with it as the puppy fur still is changing. Take it easy with the small fellow, but be consistent so it becomes a routine for him.
Best regards
Pinoy51
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Home-Grooming

Post by JammyJoy »

With the right clipper, trimmer and scissors, giving your chows a haircut is easy doing at home.