How to remove ticks and fleas

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

denschow
Rank 0
Rank 0

How to remove ticks and fleas

Post by denschow »

Hi everyone,

Do you have a tip how to remove the ticks and fleas to my chow chow? I'm getting frustrated here.
I already used frontline but It can't kill all of the ticks and there are lots of eggs of fleas. So annoying!
Please help me.

Thanks in advance
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How to remove ticks and fleas

Post by Pinoy51 »

Advocate from Bayer is doing a better job than frontline. Make sure your getting the right dose acc. to the weight of your Chow. Frontline as well as Advocate have to be given monthly, every ! month.
If the Chow is already infested it can take two to three month before all ticks and flees are dead and no new are hatching.
Regular bath with anti tick& flea shampoo once a week also helps, shampoo has to stay for at least 5minutes before rinsing,
wait one week after application of frontline or advocate before first bath.
finally manual removal and drowning of removed ticks helps too.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

I apply frontline plus religiously every thirty days. For a major infestation it took three months to completely clear out the fleas. If that does not work use K9 Advantix 2 from Bayer which also repels fleas and ticks. I also use soap containing gliciridia sepium and neem which kills off parasites, fleas and ticks called K9 Superdog. If you cannot find it where you bare from get sentry for fleas and ticks
BearBearsMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BearBearsMom »

I use the chews from the vet every month(don't remember the name. It kills them when they bite. I also spray her with a weak peppermint oil and water mix every few days to repell them. It works well as we live in the woods.