Cleaning ears?!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cleaning ears?!

Post by Bucksey9 »

Do I need to clean my new 9 week old chow chow girl ears? if so how often? and with what? Im really stuck on if I should clean her ears or not? Does anyone clean their chow chows ears? please get back to me :mrgreen: #-o
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Cleaning ears?!

Post by chow4life »

Nope, I do not clean Matilda's ears. Unless there is a reason such as ear infection, and recommended by vet I would leave them alone.
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

Oh right okay thanks for your time to reply to me. :) I thought I needed to clean her ears regularly but I suppose its not necessary. I clean her eyes daily especially because she has "Entropion" but ears I will not bother, thanks chow4life :)
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

I am too scared. I make the groomer do it every month along with nail trimming and toothbrush. Especially when their ears smell.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

You can use forceps carefully with a cotton ball at the end of it. Apply a few drops of ear cleaner to it and clean your Chow Chow’s ears. This breed most often does not have a problem with dirty and/or infected ears so clean ear maintenance should not be a problem. Your veterinarian can show you proper ear cleaning.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I would caution against using forceps in the ear...it would be so easy to damage something. Even my vet when cleaning Izzies ear during a bad ear infection said only ever use ear cleaner, squidge it around on the outside below the ear...they usually love this bit and wipe out with a couple of cotton wool balls. Never poke cotton buds in either.

Ears should never smell. If they do then it is likely your chow has a problem of some sort....possibly yeast infection or something more serious. It would be best to get them checked and if the problem persists I would look at diet. Chicken being one of the worst offenders for causing allergies and ear infections. Followed by beef.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
williegross
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by williegross »

Before cleaning the ears, you can check for excess hair. If your dog has a lot of hair coming from the ear canal then it may need to be plucked. You can do this with your fingers, tweezers, or hemostats. There are special ear powder available for dog that may be helpful in gripping the hair. Talk to your groomer or vet's office about this process.