Spray On/Leave In Conditioner?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Spray On/Leave In Conditioner?

Post by CocoLeBear »

Hello,

My chow is blowing her coat and she is getting brushed a lot. Her coat is in good condition as she is on a salmon and fish diet (whenever I see her coat shine I remind myself that I need to eat more fish) and she gets omega-3 oils, but I still worry about breakage, etc. I've read that I could use a spray on conditioner to help. Does anyone have any recommendations or something that I could make your own? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something to help with the grooming and keep her coat shiney. Again, something that I could mix up at home would be great. Thank you.
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Spray On/Leave In Conditioner?

Post by CocoLeBear »

Just to reiterate, I'm not looking for something to make Coco's coat shiney but something to help lubricate and protect it from all this grooming! Thanks!
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

I use a steel comb or rake to take out loose hairs then finish off with a pin brush. I only use spray on conditioner when rushing and intend to use a brush straight away. Any cheap doggy conditioner spray on will do. BTW, what salmon dog food brand do you use? I want to try a good one for Chestnut.
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoLeBear »

Do you use section the hair and then use the rake/comb? I have a few brushes and a furminator but I can never get all the hair matter down by the skin out and the groomer always can! I don't section the hair off though, so maybe that is it?

I use the blue buffalo basics salmon and potato--i think it is very high quality. I also alternate bags with Iams Sensitive Naturals Ocean Fish. She is great on either and I don't notice a difference in her coat. The Iams is much less expensive and I've seen it at the grocery store, which can be handy.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Yup I section the hair with the comb but not with the rake :-D Warning: Sectioning is labor intensive though :p
VeronicaGerald
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VeronicaGerald »

Have you ever used hair relaxer or something like that?? It has great effects and amazing results..It not only soothe your hairs but it improves it's growth also...
For more natural braiding hairstyles visit this Website
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

pray on conditioner which you leave in, I've used many and "chris christenson SP? ice on ice" is excellent, it allows you to comb in a pain free way right down to the skin and gets through that wooly undercoat with ease.
An application lasts for a while too so you don't need to use it every day. I usually use it twice a week and i groom daily, quickly six days and a real good longer session on day seven.
It is expensive but lasts for ages, probably about a year.
Hope this helps.
You can order on line.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Right before giving your dog a bath brush him/her, and use dog conditioner and leave it on for a little while.