My chow's new haircut...

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow's new haircut...

Post by trry »

Hello all,

Yesterday, my chow just got his haircut and I told them not to shave but they still ended up giving him a short cut its 7/8 an inch length-wise. Should I be worried about his undercoat I told them to leave 1-2" but kept saying it looked messy look and continue to do it. After all sad and done it doesn't look that bad but I am worried about his coat.

Should I be worried about his coat or just as long not purely shaved?

Thanks,
Trry
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My chow's new haircut...

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Things like this is why I will NEVER LET anyone else groom one of my dogs. All I can offer is to brush him regularly to encourage hair growth. That's what I've been doing with Jasper since my dad shaved him, and I can already see growth of his coat.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Thank God they used scissors and not shave him with blades. Hair will grow back but do not take him to those groomers again. The fact that they ignored your concerns? They wont hesitate to shave him next time. I do not plan to have Chestnut's fur trimmed, shaved or cut. The most i do is have a sanitary cut for her privates, around the eyes and butt. They blow their coats once or twice a year at the warmest of temperatures anyhow. I just comb her daily and finish off with a pin brush. Your Chow looks like a Teddy bear though :D
Last edited by Constantina on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaskinsJohn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GaskinsJohn »

trry wrote:Hello all,

Yesterday, my chow just got his haircut and I told them not to shave but they still ended up giving him a short cut its 7/8 an inch length-wise. Should I be worried about his undercoat I told them to leave 1-2" but kept saying it looked messy look and continue to do it. After all sad and done it doesn't look that bad but I am worried about his coat.

Should I be worried about his coat or just as long not purely shaved?

Thanks,
Trry
I don't think you should worry about his coat as I have gone through this situation but nothing happens so don't worry at all.
http://www.aerofixcycles.com
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

How sad,
Why oh why do SOME chow chow owners take their dogs to a groomers for a haircut, the chow doesn't need its coat cut.
Good brushing EVERY DAY is what the chow needs, brushing so you get right down to the skin, done daily its not a chore, but even if one thinks its a chore it's all part of being a responsible owner, you need to groom your chows daily and not keep on getting those hair cuts!
Clin
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chows new haircut

Post by Clin »

I also shocked when first time saw his new haircut
actually, I love his hair on PC or NY premiere..