Keeping his paws clean

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

akithelionchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Keeping his paws clean

Post by akithelionchow »

Hello again.

I'm new to this site, so I'm not exactly sure which posts go where.

We keep our Chow in a cage and in an empty room with an open window and a fan for now. We are currently trying to build a cage for him....

My question is that over the 2 weeks we've had him, our pup sleeps and eats in his cage and poops and pees anywhere in the room. I've read in this forum that this was an effective way of housetraining a Chow, given that they don't pee or poop where they eat or sleep. He likes to run around the room and he keeps on stepping on his pee, sometimes his poop. I wash it every time he does it.

How can i keep his paws clean?

PS: The floor is lined with linoleum mat so it cleans easily; the subfloor is wooden.
Lord Aragorn "Aki" of Berserker - 3mos. old (12/28/12)
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Keeping his paws clean

Post by chow4life »

I gotta tell you this situation doesn't sound like a great way for a puppy let alone a chow to be kept. This pup should be working on learning how to potty and poop outdoors. Most chows do not like to be dirty. Having to walk in his own urine is not acceptable. It also sounds like he doesn't spend much time with his family (empty room, open window, cage). This pup needs to be working on his socialization skills. My advice would be to let this pup spend as much time as possible with his family. Start working on potty training, and his socialization skills. I'm also not sure why he would need a cage built for him. Chows are one of the best breeds to potty train. Most are trained in 2-3 weeks.
akithelionchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by akithelionchow »

We were advised not to let him out or walk him outdoors by the vet because he hasn't had all of his shots yet.
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

He is three months of age. I would think taking him outdoors to potty/poop would be fine. I agree that keeping him away from dog parks or areas where there are multiple dogs untill he is fully vaccinated is ok. Remember this is a period when he is learning what is and what is not acceptable.
akithelionchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by akithelionchow »

chow4life wrote:He is three months of age. I would think taking him outdoors to potty/poop would be fine. I agree that keeping him away from dog parks or areas where there are multiple dogs untill he is fully vaccinated is ok. Remember this is a period when he is learning what is and what is not acceptable.
Thank you sir/maam for your thoughts. :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

1.) Do not confine your pup away in a room by himself all the time. THAT is a good way to make your dog unsocialized and aggressive. Let him out in the house with you. He WANTS to be with you, don't deprive him of that.

2.) He poops and pees all over the room because that's what you've given him. You NEED to be taking him outside after he eats, drinks, sleeps, plays, etc. A trip in the yard to potty isn't going to make him sick. At 12 weeks, my puppies were already being taken out and socialized (the park; NOT the dog park; stores, friends and families houses, etc.) And they'd already had their shots done, except rabies, and were given the all clear from their vets. You NEED to socialize, socialize, socialize; even if it's just having new people over.

3.) As has been stated, at his age, he's learning what you do and don't want and by locking him in a room, you're teaching him that soiling the house is what you want. Potty train him the right way (taking him outside like I stated before) and you won't have to worry about cleaning up the house or him.

And 4.) Why are you building a cage for him? Dogs are not meant to be caged all the time. At my house, we have 5 dogs living in the house as family (2 chow mixes, a yorkie, a chihuahua, and a Pomeranian), not stuck out in the yard in a cage or on a chain. That's not where a chow wants to be anyways.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
pvetter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pvetter »

Don't keep your Chow in a cage PLEASE. We've have three wonderful rescue Chows, including puppies, and have foster cared several others over the years. Chows learn house training very easily and naturally as they tend to be very clean minded. All the Chows who have lived with us always go outdoors to pooh and pee, and once they learn this they are very respectful of our home environment, with the exception of a few decorative pillows which they insist on rearranging. The only time we ever had any problem was one foster care Chow that was sick. But soon as he was treated medically he too always went outdoors. If you have one dog who knows what he's doing, the others learn from him. They really do copy their leader. This breed has a natural intelligence, and once you take time to learn how they think -and they do thing a LOT- you can figure how how to get them to do many things. House training was NOT one of the difficult ones.

Chows prefer to be treated with equality and will respond in kind, not kept as a "dumb animal" in a cage. A Chow would view this as punishment and develop mental issues, i.e. depression or anger. They can be very responsible and thoughtful family members if you allow them to.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Let me tell you how we use the crates...we have a 19 month old male and a 4 month old female. These are not our 1st chows by any means. We have had chows going back over 15 years now.

Crates are set, side by side, in the main family room. We are in that room most times. The gates are open most times, and the dogs are encouraged to 'hang out' if they need a safe zone. Either from the other dog...they dont enter each others crates, or from us...we never reach in to get them at home. Our 19 month old has been a show dog since he was 6 months, and the female will follow when old enough. They will have to spend time in the crate and be comfortable with it. It is never a punishment. At shows, Rory our male, will be placed next to other dogs, typically Rotties, Bernies, or Aussie Shepards. He is always calm and relaxed. No barking or displays of discontent (unless his neighbor is a female in season, but thats a different beast). Our 4 month old is still learning. She sometimes digs in objection, but just had her 1st pro grooming and behaved beautifully.

If you choose to use a crate for potty training, then you MUST take them outside as soon as the door is opened. You are showing him that the crate is his home, and that is the only inside space he has to keep clean. To preserve the floors in our house during those younger days, we will use gates to section off a room (acts like a very large crate). A room with an exit to the outdoors is much preferred. As he 'gets it', expand the # of rooms. You will see the dog protecting those areas. That's when they know its there's. Keep using the same exit door.

Keep on a regular schedule. Take him out no longer than 15 minutes after feeding. It sounds odd, but encourage him to do his business. Don't make it a social or excercise walk. Reward him when he does what's necessary either with praise or a small treat. And bring him back in when done.

He will get it very quickly. Chows have a very good ability to 'hold it' as they get older. I have had two dogs that hated the rain, and would actually wait out a couple day storm rather than mess inside the house or risk getting wet.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Be sure to wash his paws off with warm water to remove this residue after going outside.
Chowgroomer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowgroomer »

Hi, you have to trim the hair that grows around the pads. Once a week, it grows fast.