agressive when groomed / looking for groomer in raleigh NC

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

raykro23
Rank 0
Rank 0

agressive when groomed / looking for groomer in raleigh NC

Post by raykro23 »

Hello experts,

I have a beautiful little girl who is about 9 years old that I rescued 2 years ago. She is the sweetest Chow I've ever met. Until she's getting groomed. When in Boston I was able to find someone who could handl her. But I have not had success in NC. and being the SMART girl that she is, as Chows are she has learned how to totally intimidate the groomer.
I do believe she's a bit nervous or scared. I fear she's had a bad experience early on. For the past couple of weeks I've been working with her, brushing one area, with chicken treats. But we are not making the progress that is really needed.
So I would love to find a groomer who is willing to deal with a challenging agressive little girl.

I appreciated your feedback.

Thank you
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: agressive when groomed / looking for groomer in raleigh

Post by Pinoy51 »

My advise is to find the reason for her aggression. this kind of behavior is typical for pain or perceived pain. I would have a vet check her for skin problems or any other potential pain triggered by grooming. If no acute problem, making grooming a nice experience is the only choice. Breaking her aggression by a strong handler, will make it worse over time. patience and calmness will change her day by day a bit more.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Check on the methods used.

Rory is groomed professionally 1x a month. He is great through the entire process except for when they try to trim up the fur around his toes and pads. Then he gets mouthy. Not aggressive, but some of the groomers are nervous. We try to get the same person each time, but not always possible.

At the groomers they use a special kennel afterwards that has a dryer mounted to it. He has always been fine with the gentle breeze that that type of system creates.

For shows, the handlers actually use a hand held dryer, and he used to have a much more difficult time with that. He is fine now, but it took a bit for him to accept it.

Talk with the groomer and find out what specific issues she is having. This may help in resolving them. You may find that she is not comfortable with a male groomer (common). She may be foot protective like Rory. Different methods may be more acceptable (drying or with different types of combs, raking can be painful).
raykro23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by raykro23 »

Thank you both for your replies.
Agree with you both. This has been pregressively worst over the past tow years that she's been with me rather than better.
Since moving to Ralegin it's much worst. As a matter of fact yesterday she bit me and the groomer.
So I'm really at a lost as to next steps.