Poo butt

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lstabler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Poo butt

Post by lstabler »

Hi all and Happy New Year!

A few months ago we adopted my mother-in-law's female chow after she passed away. I am happy to say Angel is doing great and we love this dog!! She is smart and well mannered...except for doing anything concerning her face or butt. We learned quickly to muzzle her to give heart worm pills (I have a scar to show for the first time I tried to put one down her throat) and to brush her hind quarters. Unfortunately, she often gets "poo butt", a smear of poo left on her butt after she poos. So, I have to muzzle her and clean her butt several times a week. She doesn't resist putting the muzzle on but she struggles when I mess with her butt and she definitely hates the whole process.

Question: Do you shave or clip the area around your dog's anus? How often?

Thanks! This forum has been so helpful as we learn about this wonderful breed.

Lyn
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Poo butt

Post by oceans »

Matilda suffers from poo butt ever once in a great while. Usually only when her stools are very soft. Which thankfully now that she is older she doesn't have it that often. It depends on how bad it is but usually it's either a wash with wipes really good and then combed or it's a really good wash with warm water and shampoo. Either way she doesn't much care for it but she tolerates it like a good girl. And then of course there is a good treat for her when she's done.
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

Istabler,
keep persevering, finishing with a treat would be a good idea.
I have rescued a gorgeous chow five months ago, she has learnt to have her but cleaned when the need arises, (not very often though thankfully) she hated it to start with, although she never goes to bite she would sit down as soon as i went near her butt. I quickly realised that if i held her under her tummy she then couldn't sit down and so she quickly gave in. Another way I did it was having her lay down and someone get her attention with a treat while i washed and dried that area. However the standing with my arm holding her up under her tummy is the quickest way.
I appreciate its difficult for you with the biting but if you keep at it things should improve.
I have also started cleaning her teeth, again, she didn't like it but I'm able to do so more and more as time goes on,

Not sure what you mean by clipped, do you mean cutting the fur short or shaved?
I think a chow with a shaved/clipped butt wouldn't look to nice, IMO I don't agree with shaving a chow at all, apart from medical reasons, but plenty people do shave them so I suppose its up to you, when they do that hideous lion cut they are well shaved aren't they.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

My last 2 chow I never cut their fur unless it matted up. But Brutus we show him and everyone I've seen do trim the rear for two reasons. It makes them seem more square and it looks neater. If I could go back I would trim my previous chows rears but since I can't go back I'll spread the word it's ok. First take a comb and comb back from the rear. Most likely it's shorter by the tail and feet and looks like a half circle. Using a scissors trimming off little at a time evenly and then comb down. It should still look like a half circle but shorter. Repeat until you get the length you like. Around the anus be carefully but I trim Brutus about 1 inch wide and by 3 inches up and down. I do use a thinning shear to blend it in but you don't have to. You can also trim their feet to make them cat like. With their feet on the ground just trim up the fur that touches the ground around the front and sides. Then lift their feet and trim the fur that grows between their toes. This is good for the dog because they will get use to it and will look good. When most people say they don't trim their chows it's probably because they have never seen a well groomed one.

Brutus