CLEANING MY CHOWS EYES

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bigsolo
Rank 0
Rank 0

CLEANING MY CHOWS EYES

Post by bigsolo »

hi there everybody

thanks for taking time to read my post. i have a query about my puppy Leo, he is around 10 weeks old and in really good health he is a bundle of joy and is progressing really well.

its just when we let him outside he gets weeping eyes and almost like sleep from his eyes.

its the first time ive owned a dog so i would really appreciate some advice how to clean them and what to clean them with, at present ive been wetting a cotton ear bud and wiping it away from his eyes but there is still a stubborn bit of residue that will not move.

any tips???

many thanks

lance
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: CLEANING MY CHOWS EYES

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I just use a damp washcloth to wipe my dogs' eyes and faces.

Has your pup been checked for entropian?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
bigsolo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bigsolo »

hi thanks for your advice

he is only 10 weeks and he doesn't look like his eye lashes are folding in his eyes but i have been told to wait till he is 12 months old what do you think?
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Do what the vet says and have them rechecked when he's older.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

I have been advised recently to use a dry wipe when cleaning my girls eyes to prevent a build up of moisture around the eye so just be careful :)
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

I've always had to remove a bit of sleep from our dogs eyes, what ever the breed. Its normally done with a clean freshly washed finger (i don't do this as it makes me cringe but hubby does sometimes) or a piece of soft tissue or wash cloth (my method). If you wipe from above the top of the eye they will close there eye allowing you to wipe downwards in one swoop and anything wiped away will go onto the tissue/cloth or onto the top of their muzzle and not get wiped back into the eye area.
The main thing is to make sure what ever you use is clean.

My chow does have to have her eyes wiped sometimes because of normal little bit of sleep or if shes been out if its windy, nothing wrong with her eyes at all. She is five and as she was rescued she has been seen by many different vets so we know her eyes are fine.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

I used to wash cloth.
cleanersbond
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cleanersbond »

I just use a moist washcloth to wipe my dogs' eyes and faces.
chowdad29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowdad29 »

I do this on my dog. I mix a 10% solution of hydrogen peroxide with water then I gently swab the solution over the tear, being very careful not to get any of the solution in your dog’s eyes. Then just rinse the fur with clean water to get rid of any residue. Removes the stains too.
Bucksey9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bucksey9 »

I actually recently just got a 9 week old kc reg female chow and unfortunately she has "Entropion" but its getting better the vet said on her second visit to the vet. Hopefully she can grow out of it when her face grows more in the next few weeks/months but I can see myself when I look at her eyes everyday that its getting better. the vet said we can try and help the "Entropion" by gently stroking her eye lid gently everyday and to clean her eyes. she would not let us. UNTILL after a couple of days we had her I found out on the chow chow forum someone gave me a tip to pick her up and clean her eyes. and it WORKS! shes much more calm and much more less fidgety when picked up so we can clean her eyes without any trouble. so i would advice if anyone has their problem with a dog play biting them when trying to clean their teeth, eye etc. pick them up and they would be calm. well mine was :mrgreen:
Chowgroomer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowgroomer »

I would take him to the vet!