Dexter has lost a lot of fur

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tiff82
Rank 0
Rank 0

Dexter has lost a lot of fur

Post by Tiff82 »

Dexter was neutered about 3 weeks ago. He has lost almost all his undercoat. Is this normal? Will his fur come back. He's a year old so it's not his puppy fur already. He had such a nice coat. And I want it to be nice again. Does any one know if it will come back or is there something I can do to help .
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Dexter has lost a lot of fur

Post by Tippsy'smom »

All you can do is give it time.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

normally neutering gives a longer thicker coat due to hormone changes. Could it be a coincidence, perhaps he is shedding at the moment?
My girl was spayed in july aged 5years and her coat has grown loads and is loads thicker too.

My vet said the change in hormones takes about six weeks to kick in. We started to notice a big difference in her coat after about five weeks.
She was rescued and had a bone embedded in her mouth when rescued so that must have hindered her eating. I have no idea what the nasty people who previously owned her fed her on so I suppose the good diet we give her now has improved her coat condition loads.
I give her salmon oil or yumega plus (salmon oil with extras) and so far she has not had a hot spot nor any itching.
She is on the slamon oil at the moment but i do think the Yumega plus is better than the salmon oil I am using at the moment so I''m going back to the yumega oil now, (just ordered today) and I'll give her the salmon oil now and again to use it up.

I would wait a few more weeks and hopefully the coat will improve.
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

Hi! From what you have described it seems Dexter is going through the twice yearly ritual of "shedding". My chow does this in the Spring and before the winter losing clumps and clumps of fur some of which you can actually pull out with your fingers quite easily. I could have knitted a 100 pullovers or blankets from the huge balls of fur that come off him! He looks a real mess with "holes" all over his body until it grows back again. Constant brushing will get rid of most of it and patience until it all comes back again.
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Don't worry too much,it will be back again!