Help! Wet hind legs and belly after peeing

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

BaileyBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help! Wet hind legs and belly after peeing

Post by BaileyBear »

Hi All! I need your help My husband and I got our baby a week ago and we noticed that both her hind legs are always wet after she pees. It's like she couldnt stand up quickly after peeing that she ends up all wet. I towel dry her every time and splash her legs with water so she doesn't stink. She's 3 months old and she weights 9kgs. Im not sure if this is just because she's a baby. This is my first time to have a female Chow. How do I teach her to pee properly?
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Help! Wet hind legs and belly after peeing

Post by karenmarie »

Congratulations!! May you celebrate many long years together. My first thoughts on your dilemma, are a question, what is she urinating on that does not absorb? As a young fluffy possibly rolly polly (my term of endearment is "chubby") baby she has most likely not yet established her balance or center of gravity. It is quite a task for a baby to learn to squat low enough or lift a leg. Patience is a virtue especially with chowdren. I can assure you chows ordinarily want to be very clean and will work diligently at staying so. On occasion they may give way to romping in the rain or laying in dirt, but that is strictly a personality trait not the breed. This is purely of my own experiences with females others here may have something up their sleeve that will assist you. Please post pictures and keep us posted on your new edition!!
Bella & Balou
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Help! Wet hind legs and belly after peeing

Post by beckysmyth92 »

My girl had this problem for a short while, it all stopped once she grew a little more! I think because when they're young , short legged and incredibly fluffy its too hard for them not to get it on them lol! Although she only managed to get wet around her legs not sure about the belly!

Also a big congrats!! I wish you, your family and your new baby bear all the best!

Becky