Grooming Tools HELP!!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Fucshi' THE chow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Grooming Tools HELP!!

Post by Fucshi' THE chow »

Hi everyone I'm just wondering whether you would all kindly help me! :) I obviously already have a lot of tools to groom my two but I always send them to the groomers to get trimmed and whatever else because I never felt that I could do it myself, but now I have a proper grooming table I am now confident enough, watched enough and read enough about grooming. bar nail clipping. I already have universal slickers, a rake a furminator and a steel comb but I'm just wondering what other tools you would suggest using also and a picture along side them please. I'm most interested in clippers (trimmers, shavers whatever) scissors to trim In between toes, round bum and the puffy bits of the back of the legs. I have a general idea like the scissors, combs, brushes and trimmers, I get thats what need I just dont get the kind or model, I don't want to buy the wrong things and then potentially damage their fur. So if you would all be so kind to help me out it would be extremely appreciated :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Grooming Tools HELP!!

Post by Tippsy'smom »

ALL I have EVER used on my chows (and mixes and other dogs) are a slicker and a steel toothed comb. We've only ever clipped our poodle and our schnauzer. And I trimmed Jasper this past summer for medical reasons. Clippers/scissors will never touch my dogs.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I use a clipper, scissors, comb, pin brush, slicker, dematting tool, and nail clippers. The comb gets the most use by far; it's my go-to tool. I only break out the clipper and scissors once a month, when Dim Sum's fur gets ridiculously long. Mostly it's for his paws, but I trim the feathering on his legs, his tail, his butt, and a teenie bit of his mane.
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

Please dont cut your chows fur! I beg you.

I use a furminator, a comb and a pin brush! I think the furminator takes out an awful lot of fur so I only use it once every 3-4 weeks I use my comb and pin brush every other day and Dakotas fur is beautiful :) I also mix in olive oil with Dakotas meals it makes her coat so shiny and healthy! :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

beckysmyth92 wrote:Please dont cut your chows fur! I beg you.

I use a furminator, a comb and a pin brush! I think the furminator takes out an awful lot of fur so I only use it once every 3-4 weeks I use my comb and pin brush every other day and Dakotas fur is beautiful :) I also mix in olive oil with Dakotas meals it makes her coat so shiny and healthy! :)
Why do you use the Furminator so much? I have one and ONLY use it maybe twice a year during extremely heavy shedding. A slicker and comb is all I need otherwise.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Do you have a grooming table and/or a high volume dryer. The grooming table can be just a 2x4 foot white plastic table from Sam's club with a yoga mat on it or a professional one with a arm to help hold the dog while you groom them. As for the dryer, it's a must tool that I am wondering why I didn't get it sooner. It's got lots of power but has variable speed for around the face.

Brutus