More Fur please!!!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

More Fur please!!!

Post by kimigirl »

Hi. I have a 2 year old Chow. Due to medical reasons, I had to shave him to the skin. He's got 3 months of fur growth now.
I was wondering if you know of any supplements or tips that I can help his fur grow fuller?
Most of the growth is the undercoat. I don't know how to encourage the "ruff" longer fur to grow.
We live in the tropics so he doesn't get a full winter coat but ever since the shave, he'a a bit patchy.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: More Fur please!!!

Post by Rio »

That must have been some severe medical condition to fully shave a dog let alone a Chow. Maybe whatever the problem was is intefering in the re-growth. I don't know if anything exists to encourage hair growth. We have had good results making Rios fur look healthy and glossy by adding salmon oil to his food, but I don't think it would help to grow it in better.
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

Thanks Rio. He had chronic demodecosis and had open wounds on this back and face. They wouldn't dry out with medicine since the fur was too dense. I had no choice but to shave him. It was very traumatic for the poor fella. By that evening, he had a fever and was shivering. I had to wrap him up in a wooly blanket for about 2 weeks.

He was prescribed Megaderm oil by the vet which is Omega oils which he takes daily.

Below is Roscoe 3 days after the shave.
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

I just wanted top say Kimigirl that I feel reaaly bad for you and your chow, what an awful condition to have.
The Omega oils which your vet has given you are the best thing for the chows skin and coat.
My chow had her tummy shaved when she was spayed 8 weeks ago and her fur is growing really well, still only undercoat like sheep wool coat but it grows daily. I give my chow Yumega plus ( Yumega Plus is a blend of natural ingredients including the finest Omega 3 & 6 oils from cold-pressed Golden Flax, Starflower plus fresh Salmon oil - all carefully selected to help dogs with sensitive and itchy skin. It is an ideal daily supplements for pets to achieve great coat and skin condition.) I read reviews and many people had commented that it had got their dogs coat growing well. I must say after using it for two weeks my chows coat is getting more impressive by the day, I also make sure she gets daily vitamin E from her diet.
I feed her home made fish meals too, once or twice a week. I also feed home made tripe meals, Tripe is well known as a great food and being great for the skin and coat.
As you are already using the omega oils feeding a really good diet is the only other thing which will encourage coat growth.

What a terrible mountain to climb, It must have been hell protecting her delicate skin and treating that condition. I assume that you have researched this condition well so that you can safely say the vet is provided the best course of treatment.
Is this a recurring condition?

I'm glad your chow has his undercoat back now, once that has grown in fully the guard hairs should follow...I have read many times where its stated that once you have shaved a chow the coat will never grow back to a flourishing coat again...but I have also read where the chow has been shaved and the coat has grown back perfectly, probably depends on genetics, did the chow have a good coat to begin with.....
My chows shaving was done by a different vet to mine but the vet that did it said the tummy coat will grow back perfectly well and my own vet thinks its growing back very quickly and very well. I suppose its a waiting game.
BusterBoo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BusterBoo »

If the hair is taking a very long time to grow back, you might want to have your Chow's heart checked. Heart disease can impact hair growth. The thyroid is another culprit to check. But only if there is little to no growth over time. If the undercoat is coming back in, the mechanism would seem to be working. Hope all continues to go well!