My Chow Chow sweats, I think

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Brysonjk
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Chow Chow sweats, I think

Post by Brysonjk »

Hello everyone, I have a six month old chow puppy, Teddy. We walk Teddy in the evening and he seams to be sweaty when we come back home. Temp tonight was about 90 and he loves his walks but the sweat eventually leads to a musty oder from around his neck. Has anyone had similar issues with their dog? He was a rescue ( at 8 weeks old) and he is mixed but it doesn't appear to be much. The story is that his mother was pure chow chow, and his father had a mix in him. The mix is unknown. The mix might be part of the problem. Any idea would be great. I don't want to bathe him to much and dry his skin out but after a few weeks it tends to get a little musty. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: My Chow Chow sweats, I think

Post by Cam Atis »

Dogs don't sweat. All breeds and mixes dont sweat.
Chows do have odor. But it is faint and never strong.
Bathing him once in a while if you live in temperate regions will not dry his skin.
Compare that to us , we bathe them chows and all dogs weekly all year round.I am from Philippines where there are only 2 seasons. Rainy Season and Dry Season
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Dogs sweat through their paw pads and reduce body temeperature through panting. Chows do have a very distinct aroma and this is why a lot of other breed of dog have a tendancy to be 'cautious' around a Chow. Rio gets bathed once a month or so and we do not have such defining seasons anymore, thankyou global warming!!!!
Just make sure when you do bathe to rinse rinse then rinse some more.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Both posts are correct. Dogs do not sweat. I would keep an eye on both his drinking habits, and the walk zone. Obviously, wet grass or long weed type growths can transfer moisture to your dog. Chows can also be very, very sloppy drinkers. Since you mention the neck area, i would assume the rough, or front (chin, throat, chest). Try to dry this area if he is sloppy. If left moist, mold can actually develop in extreme cases. Dont want that.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Like I said Brysonjk dogs do sweat, but only through their paw pads, it is the only part of a dogs body equipped with the ability to sweat.Body temperature is controlled primarily by panting.
The chances are what you are seeing is drool and possibly moisture collecting from the air and surroundings you are walking in. Try towel drying the area,if you are using a collar this could also be retaining external moisture and giving the impression of sweating.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Could the oder be coming from the ears? I have read that bathing a double coated dog every three months is sufficient for moderate climates. Tropics, as Cam Atis says much more to prevent secondary infections from insect bites and check bacteria growth.
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

No dog sweats! If you are concerned about the oder I would take her to the vets for a check up, however there are lots of water-sprays you can get for your chow chows coat to make them smell nicer if it isn't a health issue! Furminator stocks a deodorising water-spray you should give it a try :)

Good Luck
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Probably drool or mist or dew or water from the shrubs and plants both of you encounter along the way. Bathe him and then stay away from the bushes if it has snow or water droplets on it to prevent that musty smell
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

@Rio: oh :shock: i didn't know they sweat on their foot pads. That's great to know. Thanks for the info. Anyway it ia not enough to cool down thus panting a lot can regulate their temperature. I lost a puppy due to hearstroke. Sad thing was I was 80km away when it happened so they didnt knew how to resuscitate.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Aww that's awful Cam. Yeah I know they cool down more through panting, we sometimes have puddles when it is hot from Rio's attempts to cool down lol.