irritated skin

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tori
Rank 0
Rank 0

irritated skin

Post by Tori »

Hi there chow family
So I've taken my chow(15 weeks) for her regular check ups etc and the veterinarian says she is as healthy as can be..but I've noticed that she scratches Her neck and chest a lot, she gets her frontline every 4weeks so it can't be fleas uhm I asked the vet about it and she said I shouldn't worry about it and recommended a shampoo for irritated skin..but its just not doing the trick(sad face) I hate to see my girl scratch like that!
Need help!
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (34.47 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
MariaGoldstein
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: irritated skin

Post by MariaGoldstein »

It might have gotten little insects are something similar in his fur. You should bath him and even if it does not go then consult a veterinary doctor for some ointment or medicines which would cure him.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Is she losing hair/fur on chest and neck? If that goes with scratching it is most likely a grain allergy. Are you feeding her a diet with any grains like corn, wheat and soy?
pbaker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pbaker »

I also think it could be thyroid, what I have read!
698carolh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 698carolh »

I had a problem with Chub Chub and the vet said it was allergies. After trying everything under the sun, I changed his food to Blue Buffalo Lamb and Rice dog food. So far it has been one and a half weeks and I have noticed less itching. Thought I would share this.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

pbaker wrote:I also think it could be thyroid, what I have read!

I have never heard of a puppy that young having a thyroid problem. Check your shampoo and see if it list "fragrance" in the ingredients . If so find a shampoo without fragrance. Are you putting anything on your carpets? It could be a food allergy, see if your food has chicken or corn in it. If you do change food it could take up to 2 months to see a change. Just a few things to consider.

Laura
Attachments
xmas.jpg
xmas.jpg (79.22 KiB) Viewed 8148 times
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

The itchy skin can be triggered by allergic reactions due to canine atopic dermatitis and food allergy. The chow chow dog breed also gets hypothyroidism really normally.