Spayed or neutered changes undercoat?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Spayed or neutered changes undercoat?

Post by 612guy »

I read yesterday that dogs that get fixed can change to a softer more cotton like undercoat but can get mats a lot easier afterwards. I guess it changes their hormones and supplements can help.
This makes sense since our last female chow was spaded and had the softest undercoat possible. But the bad part she always got mats underneath her and behind the ears. Has anyone ever heard of this or notice it?
Brutus has never had a mat so far but he is only 15 months old and not fixed
Last edited by 612guy on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brutus
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Spayed or neutered changes undercoat?

Post by Victory »

It does change their coat a bit, but good brushing should take care of that, it makes their coat, (both under and outer) a lot softer and more silky, but the real change is that both coats are longer. Which requires more work with the undercoat rake and a good comb to be able to groom from the skin out. A strong steel comb will separate all the hairs, doing a thorough detangling. Supplements won't change it back or prevent matts, the only real matt prevention is good grooming.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Spayed or neutered changes undercoat?

Post by 612guy »

Victory, you are right about making both under and outer longer. I thought all chows had coats that were long and soft. It's also funny that even after having chows for 20 years I am still learning. Before Brutus I never had or used a wide steel comb to get down to the skin but thought a 2 row rake would do everything. Now I use the steel comb more than the rake combing one section at a time. Here was a picture of our Bella and you can see how long her fur was.

Now I have a lot more tools which I wish I had along time ago. Before I use a shop vac in reverse to blow dry after bathing but now have a dryer that blows clean air. Even though the vac has a filter, it was still blowing dirt out. I bought it just before we started showing Brutus after a friend who has show chows looked at me strange after I told him. Also a grooming table with a arm so Brutus doesn't jump off. It's a lot easier on my back and gets more done faster too. I was using a plastic table (2x4 ft from Sam's club) with a yoga mat before the grooming table which work almost as good but felt like a red neck at a show. I still use it outside though so it wasn't a waste of money. I never use to trim under and around their feet but found it a lot easier to wipe them when they come back inside, plus they look nicer.

Brutus