Lion Cut

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chinotan87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lion Cut

Post by chinotan87 »

Hi everyone..
Premo is my first dog. I personally picked him from the kennel, he is like a little brother. I just had him on a LION CUT. I thought it was just a few trimming at the back part of my chow to have him the lion look.
But when i got back to the groomer, i was horrified by the result. He shaved his back! :-x I was angry, i wanted to throw the groomer down to the lower ground but I cant completely blame him because I was not able ask about the cut, I was in a hurry when i brought Premo there. I just wished i was informed properly. Now i'm upset with the situation, and worried. But what's done is done.

I have a few questions that you guys have might have the answers.

1. How long will the hair grow back to its normal form?
2. Is there anything to "watch out" for since the coat is gone and the skin is exposed? BTW, we are on the Rainy season here in the Philippines.
3. What are the do's and donts when it comes to diet, hygiene or anything essential with the situation.

Hope you guys could help me. Im worried this might lead to problems I do not know.
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Lion Cut

Post by sara »

OMG what a shame, the lion cut is pretty hideous isn't it and should never be done to a chow.
You need to be eally careful now as your poor chow has no protection from the sun nor against dirt and insect bites etc.

As for how long it takes to grow back i have no idea, I'm sure some one here will let you know.

My Mimi has been spayed 13 days ago and she has now grown a little fur where they shaved a bit on her leg and her tummy, I don't think its going to be a quick process.
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Lion Cut

Post by sara »

Here is some info gleaned from the web...

It would be impossible to count how many times each summer a professional groomer is asked to shave a client's dog in an attempt to make it cooler. It is a common misconception that all dogs would automatically be cooler if they had less hair.

What type of hair does the dog have?

Some dogs' hair grows to one length only and then remains that length. These dogs typically shed hair. The Chow Chow is included in this category. Their coats act as insulators against the elements, and should never be shaved. After all, do you take the insulation out of your home in the summer to make it cooler? Absolutely not, and the same goes for these dogs.

The coat of the Chow Chow consists of two different types of hair: soft, downy undercoat and harsher, thicker hairs called guard hairs. These two types of hair are actually designed to matt and tangle up to form a hard shell or pelt around the animal to keep their temperature regulated in extreme weather. Without proper brushing and grooming on a regular basis, this often happens, leading the owner to the false conclusion that the coat needs to be shaved off to make the dog cooler. However, shaving the hair off of these dogs takes away their insulation from the heat, actually making these dogs hotter and more uncomfortable. Shaving also makes them more susceptible to sunburn as well.

It is important to understand that if you make the decision to go ahead and shave these types of dogs anyway, their hair will never be the same again. Shaving will change the coat forever. Not only does the hair grow back extremely slowly, but also it grows back much softer and sparser. The colour of the coat will be different too, as the hair will be at least two shades lighter than it was before.

One of the worst things about shaving a dog with this type of hair is that the dog can develop what we call clipper alopecia. In simple terms, it just means that the hair does not grow back. This is caused by a change in the guard hairs when they are cut. Clipper alopecia usually develops first in a patch on the dog's back, located right in front of the tail. After shaving, only a thin layer of hair will grow back there, usually reaching a maximum length of about half an inch. Dogs that develop this condition have coats that appear to be moth-eaten. This is not an attractive sight!

Okay, so what happens if you do have a dog that is matted to the skin and appears to be too hot in balmy weather? Seek the advice of a properly-trained groomer to determine the best course of action. With the many miracle grooming products that are on the market, these coats may be able to be saved with a couple of intense grooming sessions and some effort in daily grooming from the owner. This optimises the dog's coat to perform its insulating tasks properly. Occasionally, the coat truly is beyond repair and does in fact have to be shaved to start over.

VARIOUS DOG GROOMERS SAY :

Dogs don't sweat like we do. Instead, their cooling process is handled by panting and even some sweating on the paws, having a thick coat will not slow down a dog's cooling process.

Some types of fur and hair can be beneficial in hot weather, working to insulate dogs from the heat.

Dogs with a double coat receive protection against biting flies and mosquitoes.

Dogs with little or no pigmentation in their skin, like the Siberian Husky, can get sunburned very easily when shaved.

People think that shaving down stops shedding. This is another myth - the hairs still shed out, they are just shorter.

People don't want to take the time to keep their pet properly groomed and the dog becomes a matted mess so the kindest thing to do is to shave them down.

If the owner does prefer to pare down the fur, which type of haircut is best for dogs in the hot weather?

Hair styles do vary by breed, but Recchia recommends a generic "buzz cut" for her furry clients rather than shaving. "It's a very short cut which removes excess fur, thus preventing shedding," she tells us. "[Dogs] are much easier to bathe over the summer with less fur, and it's also great for preventing ticks and fleas. You can spot pests much more easily."

White advises her customers to allow the groomer to leave some fur for sunburn protection and insulation.

Are there certain areas on a dog's body that should be groomed shorter or kept longer during the summer?

Dog hair can grow in inconvenient locations, poking your dog in the eyes, or another area that may become especially annoying in extreme heat. Cutting particular areas shorter during the summer is a personal preference according to Recchia, but she said "a lot of owners like the face taken shorter to prevent hair from getting in their pet's face and mouth."

What are some precautions pet owners can take to prevent sunburn?

Humans aren't the only ones who can suffer from a nasty sunburn! Take precautions to prevent your pet's skin from sun damage. "Avoid direct sunlight and keeping your pets outside too long in the extreme heat," said Recchia. "Baby suntan lotion works well on very [short-haired] breeds and hairless breeds. It also works well on the nose area."