Yucky chins

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Yucky chins

Post by Rio »

Rio is a drool monster!!!! He is currently dropping his baby teeth and is drooling like a leaky tap. Decided he needed a bib so have ordered him a bandana. Will post pictures when he gets it. \:D/
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Yucky chins

Post by Fozzbear »

Maybe that is what I should get Humph - I'm constantly drying /combing his chin. But I think it is from putting his face in his water bowl (usually followed by his feet) rather than drool. I never noticed Fozz losing her baby teeth. Humph is just over 3 months now, should he be starting soon?
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Rio started leaving his teeth around the house about 3 weeks ago, so he was 4.5 months old then. We thought Rio was trying to drown himself in his water bowl as he was always wet but we noticed the other day it is more drool than water.
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

I think it has alot to do with how smooshed their muzzles are, the more smooshed the more drool, my one always has a wet chin too....

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Cassie is always wet under her chin. But it is hot here, so perhaps she always took a sip. She can finish a gallon of water in two days.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Try the spill proof bowl...from Petsmart...Kodi was soaked we bought a few of these then helped Alot.....If he is playing and drinking ton and tons of water then his chin gets a little wet but not that bad...And i dont know if your chows do this but Kodi will lay down to drink..LOL....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

We use the spillproof type bowl already, and Rio has quite a long muzzle!!!! He isn't the smushy-faced type. I don't think the skin around his mouth (or lips I guess) has reached full capacity yet so drool and liquids kinda just topple out. I guess his face is still growing.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Rio wrote:We use the spillproof type bowl already, and Rio has quite a long muzzle!!!! He isn't the smushy-faced type. I don't think the skin around his mouth (or lips I guess) has reached full capacity yet so drool and liquids kinda just topple out. I guess his face is still growing.

Kodi has almost the same type Face as Rio...and he is 14 months old and has alot of loose skin yet im guessing he has alot of growing to do also...lol...But the spill proof bowl seemed to help him....a little... :D
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

LOL yeah if he was human he would most certainly be booking in to see a plastic surgeon!!!
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

Lol to funny

I only have one smooshed faced one, the other two don't have the wet chins lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Rory always has his mouth open and his tongue hanging, so we get some drool from that. Suggestions about the bowl choices are good ones. Either the spillproof or just something less deep will help. Keep a towel handy and wipe his chin.