How often do they shower?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

How often do they shower?

Post by nnguyentang »

I've been looking up how often I should be showering my little chowlet, some say once a month, some say wash only when necessary. I bought a dry shampoo, because my little one loves to get dirty, I just want her to stay nice and clean and cuddle-able. Any suggestions? And it isn't a good idea to shave or trim her, right?
-Nat and Violet
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How often do they shower?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I only bath when needed (when the leave a dirt spot on my comforter, or my hands feel gross after touching them, you KNOW it's time for a bath) but typically it's every other week to once a month for my guys. And you're correct about the shaving a trimming. BAD idea. Only time it should be done is for medical reasons (which is why I just had to trim my mix boy down, and he's getting medicated baths once a week).
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nnguyentang »

I have other dogs, and they require a shower once a week or so, but i was scared to shower my chow that many times. So it's safe to shower her twice a month?
-Nat and Violet
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I bathed my purebred girl with an oatmeal shampoo 2 times a month and it never hurt her. I did that for almost 11 years.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

I was also curious about this question and I got really confused by what I was reading. I bathe my chow once a month and his coat looks fine (he is only 10months) I am not experience chow owner by any means but we like him smelling nice. Not to mention I bathe him more since he goes to park quick often and rolls around with other dogs. I would advise up to you if you think the chow needs it, go for it!...
nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nnguyentang »

Thanks guys. Will definitely try. My baby gets so dirty so fast. I almost don't know what to do. I let her outside to play then she comes in bringing the whole yard with her, but I'm always afraid to bathe her too much.
-Nat and Violet
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Bathe her every weekend. You must rinse thoroughly. Bathing every month is also okay. Depends on the situation and weather.
iceskates
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iceskates »

be careful with the dry shampoos. They dry out the chow's skin. I try to use it minimally but I totally understand how they can get dirty and that you might need to use it once in awhile.

I also found some wipes that don't seem to dry Sheba's skin as much.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Simba is seven months now, and gets a bath once a week with medicated Shampoo and antifungal soap, due to tropical weather and rainy season right now. His Fur is perfect (other than the hot spot :-( ). Hegot used to the shower now and if not sunny also gets the hang of blow drying.
You can see him on the avatar or under "Simba in the shower" after he is done with his private hairstyling session ;-)
Best regards
Pinoy51
mystik
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mystik »

i bathe zazu about once a month with oatmeal-type shampoo. i originally used "regular" dog shampoo from a brand-name store, but it would dry out his skin. one day, i must have not thoroughly rinsed him that i left a spot of shampoo on him, which eventually left him a rash on his back. the vet trip to inquire about the rash wasn't too pleasant, either. it was a two hundred dollar visit, to say the least. what did i get out of the visit? skin ointment and the vet's advice to switch to oatmeal shampoo with a bathing of no more than once a month.

this is for my chow, but it's what i do, and i haven't experienced any problems since. the rash was when he was 6 months old, and he is now 11 months.
i have a chow. his name is zazu. he was born on september 11, 2011.
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

I only bath my girl when she really needs it, probably every 4-5 months! Dakota is only 9 months old and I've only ever bathed her twice!
Lucychoww
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lucychoww »

I bathe my baby once a week and when she goes out for walks after a week, she looks like fertiliser haha and shes a very very curious chow so she likes to sniff, lick and bite anything she sees including grass, sand, random things on the floor so eventhough I walk her to the beach, on the way there are these bushes so she tend to jump inside them and have a game with herself and the insects. All this leaves her itching, so ive treated her with tick medications. However, to keep and maintain her tick flee fur and fluffyness, I have to bathe her once a week. I usually coat her with Hartz ultra guard ''Rid Flea and Tick dog shampoo'' keep it on for a min while messaging and then wash it away with water. After that, I wash her with espree coat renewal milk and honey shampoo, it provides some TLC and it is, ''safe with spot on flea products'' and it also conditions the fur. Lucy ends up smelling amazing!! until her next bath. :D shes still 4 months old but hasn't complained with this plan yet. Ive uploaded a picture of her now after her morning bath today.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

I live in the Philippines. S I bathe Chestnut once or twice a week or she will stink to high heavens. Twice or thrice a week in the summer months here ( March to June)
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Both of my dogs are extremely active outdoors, and often have a "doggy" smell. Bathing a dog with shampoo more than once a month can dry out the skin and coat and cause more problems than just a little doggy smell.
I will wet them down in the shower every week or so to get rid of any dirt they picked up in the back yard. There are also dog fresh wipes, carried at Petsmart and like stores, that can help freshen up the dog in-between showers.