How often do they shower?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

How often do they shower?

Postby nnguyentang » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:58 pm

I've been looking up how often I should be showering my little chowlet, some say once a month, some say wash only when necessary. I bought a dry shampoo, because my little one loves to get dirty, I just want her to stay nice and clean and cuddle-able. Any suggestions? And it isn't a good idea to shave or trim her, right?
-Nat and Violet

Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How often do they shower?

Postby Constantina » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:41 pm

I live in the tropics so she showers once or twice a week. If there are no skin problems there is no need to ever shave or trim. I had the butt and pee area trimmed though so it's easier to clean.

milos87popovic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Postby milos87popovic » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 am

How many times you shower your dog?
If you search for dog name visit this link: Dog names

Sukies_Daddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Postby Sukies_Daddy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:44 am

My Sukie is not a big fan of the bath so she gets a full bath and shampoo about every three months or so.
In the interim if she is out in the rain or snow then she gets a proper towel dry.
A "sanitary trim" of the backside areas is not a bad idea. My vet only charges $10 for such a service - you can likely do it at home also if your dog is more willing.

- Sukie's Daddy

perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Postby perriejinnie » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:49 pm

I wanted to know how often should a dog be given bath and found different answers from different people for different breeds. One article which explained the query quite well is here.

Drakhtul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Postby Drakhtul » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:22 am

Once a week is totally enough for my chow. Sometimes when i go to the wood she is full in spider;s webs and dirt so i have to wash her again but it's unusual.

RandalllHet
Rank 0
Rank 0

How often do they shower

Postby RandalllHet » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:22 am

I find giving Monty a full bath with shampoo such an ordeal that I do it as little as possible.

From May until September the dogs will swim quite a lot, I might give them a bath with shampoo three times during these months.

I gave Monty a full bath with shampoo yesterday, the last time was September.

He does get a foot wash if it is muddy and a butt wash and head wash about once a month.

I groom him lots so he is soft and looks in good condition so I dont find he looks dirty and he is not a smelly dog. Its his head that gets smelly thats why I wash it once a month.

How about you, how often do you give the dog a full bath? Do you do it yourself or at the groomer?

Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Postby Mother Moose » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:34 am

Hi RandalllHet,

I usually give Moose a full bath every 3 months.

I'm curious how do you wash just Monty's head?
Moose also gets the smelliest around his eyes, mouth and bib. I use a wet cloth daily to wipe the areas, but sometimes the smell still accumulates.
I have thought about just bathing his head, but I'm not sure how I would do it without getting soap on the rest of his coat.

Thanks!

Mother Moose

Annabellam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Postby Annabellam » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:42 am

Hi. Bathing my furry baby used to be such a hustle until my friend introduced me to the http://www.petstreetmall.com/Booster-Bath/10044/1279/ The process is so much easier. I bath him once a month and especially when he has been up and about.

Return to “Grooming”