How often do they shower?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nnguyentang
Rank 0
Rank 0

How often do they shower?

Post by nnguyentang »

I've been looking up how often I should be showering my little chowlet, some say once a month, some say wash only when necessary. I bought a dry shampoo, because my little one loves to get dirty, I just want her to stay nice and clean and cuddle-able. Any suggestions? And it isn't a good idea to shave or trim her, right?
-Nat and Violet
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How often do they shower?

Post by Constantina »

I live in the tropics so she showers once or twice a week. If there are no skin problems there is no need to ever shave or trim. I had the butt and pee area trimmed though so it's easier to clean.
milos87popovic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by milos87popovic »

How many times you shower your dog?
If you search for dog name visit this link: Dog names
Sukies_Daddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sukies_Daddy »

My Sukie is not a big fan of the bath so she gets a full bath and shampoo about every three months or so.
In the interim if she is out in the rain or snow then she gets a proper towel dry.
A "sanitary trim" of the backside areas is not a bad idea. My vet only charges $10 for such a service - you can likely do it at home also if your dog is more willing.

- Sukie's Daddy
perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by perriejinnie »

I wanted to know how often should a dog be given bath and found different answers from different people for different breeds. One article which explained the query quite well is here.
Drakhtul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Drakhtul »

Once a week is totally enough for my chow. Sometimes when i go to the wood she is full in spider;s webs and dirt so i have to wash her again but it's unusual.
RandalllHet
Rank 0
Rank 0

How often do they shower

Post by RandalllHet »

I find giving Monty a full bath with shampoo such an ordeal that I do it as little as possible.

From May until September the dogs will swim quite a lot, I might give them a bath with shampoo three times during these months.

I gave Monty a full bath with shampoo yesterday, the last time was September.

He does get a foot wash if it is muddy and a butt wash and head wash about once a month.

I groom him lots so he is soft and looks in good condition so I dont find he looks dirty and he is not a smelly dog. Its his head that gets smelly thats why I wash it once a month.

How about you, how often do you give the dog a full bath? Do you do it yourself or at the groomer?
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Hi RandalllHet,

I usually give Moose a full bath every 3 months.

I'm curious how do you wash just Monty's head?
Moose also gets the smelliest around his eyes, mouth and bib. I use a wet cloth daily to wipe the areas, but sometimes the smell still accumulates.
I have thought about just bathing his head, but I'm not sure how I would do it without getting soap on the rest of his coat.

Thanks!

Mother Moose
Annabellam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Annabellam »

Hi. Bathing my furry baby used to be such a hustle until my friend introduced me to the http://www.petstreetmall.com/Booster-Bath/10044/1279/ The process is so much easier. I bath him once a month and especially when he has been up and about.
perriejinnie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by perriejinnie »

Giving your dog bath can be troublesome. You should keep in mind that if you didn't prepare yourself in advance you will repent later during the bathing process of your pet. Read this article. It will make your work pretty easy.