Blowing his coat

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

althenia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Blowing his coat

Post by althenia »

This is my very first chow. I got my Pepper just yesterday and I know it will take some time for him to get to know us. He is 2 years old and was given to me from a lady that could not have dogs at the place she is moving to. My husband has always wanted a chow chow and it was his surprise from me. Pepper is blowing his coat and it looks horrible my husband told me to shave him but I'm not entirely stupid I know something like that will have to wait until we get better acquainted. But, when I do take care of his coat what is the best way to do it. I really don't want to have to shave him I would rather try to brush it out but not sure if this is even possible. I'm so confused. :!:
Auddymay

Re: Blowing his coat

Post by Auddymay »

Do not shave him. Ever. Chows lose copious amounts of fur twice a year. You need to buy some good grooming tools and spend a minimum of 1 hour a week keeping Pepper brushed out. Start with a double row rake, then follow with a pin brush. I also have a comb with rotating teeth I use as a finishing tool. Just as you would a human with long tangled hair,you start brushing towar the ends and work your way to the root of the hair as you work out the tangles. If you come upon mats, cut them out. This Chow is likely scared with the big changes, go slow, speak soothingly, and treat if he will accept them. Don't be surprised if he won't take a treat, though. Good luck, and since you are new to Chows, read up about them here, there is alot of good information at your disposal.
Towbartone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Towbartone »

Agreed, whatever you do, do not shave a chow, ever, their coat is their protection and you will be opening up a whole can of worms if you ever do that.
As Auddymay says, read up on chows, buy a book on them or read through posts on here, chows are very unique dogs they are designed to be the way they are, anyway its quite fun pulling out the clumps of fluff and grooming them is part of your responsibility to your new baby.
You have one of the most unique dogs out there be proud of him, we have taught ours from an early age and he loves having his shampoo and set, including the hairdryer.

Good luck with him, he is special and you are so lucky to have him.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Blowing the coat refers to heavy seasonal shedding. I have golden retrievers that blow their coats once or twice a year.
Chowgroomer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowgroomer »

You need to use a blower to remove the hair that is coming out, do not shave a chow chow. They have all that fur for a reason. You will need large combs, brushes and a good blower. These dogs are regular maintenance to keep them healthy and looking their best.