How often are your trims?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MartMan86
Rank 0
Rank 0

How often are your trims?

Post by MartMan86 »

Hey gang,

A few months back I had Nadia groomed and had them take off some hair from her neck down, well, it's back again in full force and she's shedding for her summer coat. I got most of the hair our but it's still very long and to me needs a good cut. I REALLY like what Kaysa did with her male seen here in the 2nd photo ........ http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... -f-vPUqcbs. Oh, and Kage is... well.... still a pup I suppose, is it even worth taking him for a trim now or will the hair just grow back extremely fast since he's still growing?

So really.... how often do you all do trims/cuts/etc? I do it every few months but I'm beginning to feel as if I wait too long, I dunno, maybe it's me... I'm just curious though.

Thanks again guys!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: How often are your trims?

Post by Victory »

I never trim or cut my chows fur. It's really not good to do so. The long guard hair, the outer coat, helps trap cool air next to their skin and actually helps them stay cool in the summer. Also chows have very fair skin and can burn easily which can lead to skin cancer. All you need to do is comb the shedded under coat out, and in the winter keep them free of matts and tangles so they stay nice and toasty. Now if the undercoat is matted like on my Firesong's rear, (because she's a pain about getting that combed) then I trim out the matts, but it's only hear and there, not a full cut.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I never have trimmed them, and never will.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

The only areas I have trimmed are the under side of the paws. When they get too long they slip and slide risking injury. It's like running with just socks on. I also have butt and pee fur trimmed so the undesirable things do not cling to them post toilet breaks.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

I never trimmed our chows fur also. I love to look at her with long thick furs.