Carding

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Carding

Post by reddog »

About a month ago I took Whitby to be groomed by a professional for the 1st time since I rescued her in December. The groomer did a process called “carding”. It’s suppose to removed the old, dead hair that dulls the coat and give the coat a healthy shine. She looked about 5 pounds lighter and I was pleased as to how she looked after the groomer was done.

I’ve noticed recently that from her shoulders to her tail her fur feels very dry and looks lifeless. I took her to the vet about a week ago for a wellness check-up and the vet commented about her looking different since her last wellness check-up in January. I told her I had her groomed about a month ago. The vet said that’s the difference and that her fur looked awfully thin compared to before and if I hadn’t told her that she would have thought something was going on health-wise and would have wanted to run some tests.

I started giving her some fish oil capsules this week in hopes that will help revitalize her fur.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so, what did you do?
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Carding

Post by Chowmomma »

I have had that same experience with my blue chow and was also giving her the oil, lots of brushing and no bathing (sounds gross) but it strips natural oils from their skin, I had just gotten her coat looking good when I left him, I had her for over two months allowing him visits, the last time I came to get her he refused, anyway so yes hang in there and that fish oil works well along with good dog food