TransFURmation time line for chow puppy to adult coat?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

TransFURmation time line for chow puppy to adult coat?

Post by Cam Atis »

Hi All! My chow Cassie is now 6 months old (DOB Dec05'11).

Does anybody know how long before the transition to full adult hair will take? I thought it is a period. A period of how many months? Hope you take time to reply.

Since she entered 3.5months of age, I noticed when I brush her that there are A LOT than before of fur coming off from her and she suddenly liked to be brushed although playfulness is still there.
Until now, she is shedding but to a lesser extent. Her back area and tail are now darker in color and rougher to the touch, I suspect IT IS the adult coat. Yet her mane is still soft and fluffy as well as underbelly and legs.
I live in a tropical country and I knew recently from chow owners living in the same weather condition as I am ,that their chows started to shed at 3 months of age.

I've attached a photo of her taken at 5.5months old.Image
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: TransFURmation time line for chow puppy to adult coat?

Post by Ylaartim »

Very well said! I need answers too! :)

Cassie's so big now! And she's so pretty! :) I was just looking at her pics in your post in the Chow Chow Gallery before I left for school :)
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Oh dear! Where are all the chow owners here who says they have owned a few chows for 10-20 years? No one seemed to know the answer to my QUESTion.

I like to know when will a chow grow into 100% adult coat and out of their puppy coat? How old will they be on average?
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I wonder if it is a climate thing Cam, weather seems to effect so many things in animals around the globe, but it would be nice to have an estimate.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Cocoa was pretty much into her adult coat by one year. Rio is right about the climate I think. We also had some allergy issues last summer and a lot of the puppy coat was lost due to itching so I don't know if she might have kept it a little longer otherwise.
Clouds
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Clouds »

I have the same question too. I've noticed that Tobi has been losing a LOT of his coat for like the past couple of weeks and fur was everywhere all the time, like clumps would be lying in his kennel. It is really hot down here though and he's outside most of the day so that can account. But he's like 6 months too now and I've noticed that the shedding has almost stopped.

The new coat that came in is darker, really soft and sleek and shorter than his original long, fluffy puppy coat. The fur on his tail is longer and his mane is still like the same length and texture as it was before, maybe a bit longer. And he has the feather fur on the back of his hind legs. So I think his adult coat has come in but I'm not sure... so could there be more shedding or no? :D
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hmmm.... Cassie's rougher now. The only fluffy fur is around her head and neck.
She is almost 8 months
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

This info is unverified and comes from my experience.

How quickly a chow comes into an adult coat depends on age and on climate.

All chows start as puppies and get a nice downy puppy coat, soft to the touch and fluffy, smells great for the first couple of months, easy to brush and keep clean. They will partially blow the puppy coat at the spring time.

Most chows should have grown the adult coat by one year or within the that time frame, around 10 months you will see long coarse hair coming through the bottom coat and this is going to to determine the colour of your chow. Surprising to have a light fawn colour puppy that turns red at 1 year. When do they lose that last puppy undercoat? whenever they are around one year and blow the coat to grow in the winter coat.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Thank you for that. At last someone can tell me about this one even if you say it is not verified. I cant find this info in the net so i asked. So i have a few more months to wait. She has turned a deeper cinnamon now. But there are still puppy coat, we dont have winter here in my place so.... :-)
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

Hi. With my experience, Roscoe's coat filled out like a "bolero" jacket (till just behind the front legs), then the rest followed.
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Clouds wrote:I have the same question too. I've noticed that Tobi has been losing a LOT of his coat for like the past couple of weeks and fur was everywhere all the time, like clumps would be lying in his kennel. It is really hot down here though and he's outside most of the day so that can account. But he's like 6 months too now and I've noticed that the shedding has almost stopped.
Chows shed their undercoat seasonally. Dim just finished his second shedding of the year about a week ago.
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gluesticks »

My breeder had told me that chows do not stop growing until they are apprx. 20 months old. They also stated that the adult coat will usually begging growing in around 6 months to 8 months until about a year to a year and a half in age. Of course climate also effects the rate of hair growth and coat type. I would imagine a puppy growing into their adult coat entering a colder season would result in a fluffier, more profound coat type?