Apparently spoke to soon.....

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Apparently spoke to soon.....

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hey All,
I am hoping that you can help me with either finding a link, which I can print out and bring to petsmart......
Sooooo- a few posts that I have been praising how fabulous my petsmart is... 'daycamp' + training etc....... Well, I had Clover their Wednesday for 'daycamp' .. I wanted for their grooming department to trim her nails and clean up her pads... WELL... Apparently they took the liberty of also 'buzzing' her (for the lack of technical wording...) back of front legs fur... You know the back of her legs where she has a 'mane-esque' growth of fur.... Why would they take the 'free-liberty' of providing this service... DID NOT ask for this!!!!!
Ok 2 things.... Does anyone have any doc that I could print off and give to day camp tomorrow to give to grooming?... Best if I do not confront grooming myself......
Also.... I have read a few random articles in past.. saying that no need to trim a chows hair etcetc..... My ? .. Will it grow back the way it was?? Assuming it will but right now, reassurance would be great.....
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Apparently spoke to soon.....

Post by Rory's Dad »

Clover, rest assured that it will grow back. And you will be surprised at how quickly.

We use Petco and just had Rory there this morning for a grooming before Saturday shows. This would have devestated any show chances he has, so i do understand your concern. We are always very clear with out instructions...no clippers...trim only the paw area to clean between the pads, etc. Fortunately, we usually deal with the same girl, and she knows the routine. We still explain it every time.

Not sure what the situation was, but those hinds can become troublesome. It may be that they couldnt brush them out...but that is not your issue.

Not sure what you are looking for in a doc, but if you want, we can call them and give them hell. At the very least, they should not be charging you for unsatisfactory services.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

She was only scheduled for a puppy trim which consists of a pad clean up and nail trim.... I have had before...never an issue... This (actually) is the only service I have ever had from grooming...
Daycamp awesome..training awesome... Grooming services never again.. They did clean up her paws and nails... Just looking at slip (jay had picked her up the other night) they didn't charge for...
It's just the issue of ...why did you do that?... I remembered reading a doc months ago... Cannot for life of me find where I read.. Thought if someone knew what I was speaking of then great, no worries otherwise!
I have been really on top of her grooming myself with the exclusion of the nails and pads.. Which I left to petsmart, never an issue.. I have heard of 'those horror storys' of groomers shaving chows.. Now paranoid for any further grooming services... I will make a joke out of it tmrw dropping her off tomorrow.. So that they know, but i am not making a huge issue of it.. For the amount of time weekly i am in that store... I know the regular employees.. The reg. employees know clover.. Its like she is the 'local celebrity' in the store.. Some employees call her 'my little chow chow' .. In the aisles and employees are like 'Hey Clover' actually pretty funny.. So dont want to make a huge issue.. Bcse they all care for her.. But just super annoyed!

Rory.. Show date this weekend...sat or Sunday ?

Thx
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

LOL, i know the Chow celebrity syndrome so well. kinda of humorous really.

Rory shows both days this weekend...sad, but ringtime both days is 8:30am for the Chows...discrimination i think.
Worse will be July 4th week in Springfield...5 full days.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

S/b able to make saturday.
Ugh.. Springfield :-) oh wait, I mean ugh, 5 days....
Let u know if something changes for Sat. Morning
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hey Rory's Dad..
I have NEVER been to a dog show... and trying to find any info about Saturday's is a bit tough (or the info I want.. )
So it is open to the public? Is it acceptable to bring Clover? i really just have no idea of the rules, and I cannot find anything straight forward online....
If you happen to get this prior to tomorow am that would be great!! Its about an 1hr 1 way... so I want to make sure that I dont waste my time if Clover comes with me...
lmk if you have a chance....
Thanks!!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Clover, absolutely open to the public. Not sure on this one, because it is outdoors, so new to us as well. We just dropped Rory off with his handler. Weather looks like it might go downhill during the day, but Chows are showing at 8:30 or so in the am. Sunday looks to be better for weather, and they are showing at the same time.

The outdoor showing seems to encourage more 'dog' like behavior. It was louder and lots more barking than the indoor shows, i think the pups are feeling it a bit more.

Not entirely sure, but it seems like they are charging for admission to this one...other shows i have been at only charged for parking at the facility.

Bring Clover if you can, we would love to see her. We will be there both days. Rory tends to be 'off limits' to us during shows, as he needs to focus, but we can get an intro for you to some of the other handlers if you like. When we dropped him today, it looked pretty well attended and the program lists over 1500 dogs as being entered. Great atmosphere for Clover to take in some new experiences.

If you want to head down either day, send me an email and i will give you my cell number so we make sure to find you.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hi
I have not struggled with a decision like this for some time... (ha) I/we REALLY want to come down...however it is pouring and kinda cold out (which overall sometimes makes people miserable) the event being outside... Miserable pple/wet dogs.... Thinking it wouldn't be a good introduction.... I have an obligation tmrw am- but it looks like it will clear for the afternoon.... Or thinking if iplan accordingly then I could make a day trip out of 1 of the Springfield shows. Looks to be July 4th-7th.... ?
Never mind with me working again, Clover is being a huge cuddler right now :-)
Good luck to Rory!!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Miserable today. The tents only covered the staging area of th rings...all the cycling area for the dogs was exposed. you all know how much chows love rain...rory behaved well anyway and was a trooper. not the best result, good competion.

Let us know on Springfield. Would be nice to meet up. I also found the outdoor setting to be tougher on the pups.

FYI, getting tough to book hotels in that area if you are interested in staying out there