my chow's coat!...

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

my chow's coat!...

Post by trry »

Hello,
I took my Chow, Po, to the groomers this weekend to get him a cut so the hair wont be such a burden for him during warm weather. So I told her that I would like a trim in the back but please to leave ~1" of hair or more on his back side. So when I came back 2 hours later she gave him a lion. I was shocked but i didn't know what to do since this is my 2nd time to groomers. I just paid and immediately try to fix it myself since his head was uneven. I am boycotting this groomer for future but to my questions....

1. Will his coat grow back normally? He currently has puppy coat he is ~9months.
2. How long does his full coat to come back or anything I need to do?

Thanks!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: my chow's coat!...

Post by Sarahloo »

Don't worry, the damage has already been done, at least he is not going to be warm this summer! That will make him really happy!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I had to get an elderly severely matted chow shaved before. He was shaved all the way to he skin.I was surprised at how quickly it grew back. Within 2 weeks he had fur all over and within 2 months it was fuller than ever. While most wouldn't recommend shaving a chow, I think it will be ok. Just don't go there again or shave him again unless necessary.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

My avitar is a photo taken before my wife decided she wanted my two clipped. It grows back. If you don't like it, change groomers. We have clipped both dogs and cats, and their fur grows back quickly.