How do you wash your chow's face?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

How do you wash your chow's face?

Post by xueshuxin »

Today I TRIED to wash Songsong's face; he was so resistant :shock: I couldn't be too tough on him and I was afraid of getting his eyes/ears wet so just gave up with wetting :oops:

I don't wash his face when giving him a bath. Since I'm always afraid his eyes will get wet his ears will get wet blahblahblah.

What do you do with this?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I just use a wet towel, no soaps or anything just water. Pekoe didn't like it at fist either but now she knows whats going on when I wet the towel and seems to like it, try cool or cold water that might help.

What ever happeded to that dog you were trying to save? Did you save it?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Same as Jeff - I get a face flannel and wet it and just wash Milly and Mabel's faces. If they resist, which sometimes they do, I just hold the fur on the back of their necks and just carry on washing. :)
Basically, if they need their faces washing, I wash them! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
xueshuxin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xueshuxin »

Hi Jeff&Peks, the dog I tried to save is now quite safe :D My sister breeds her now; she's big, energetic, and destructive, because she's just toooooooo energetic :lol:

Thanks you both!
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

TiVo didn't like having his face washed either but then he started getting the stains under his eyes so we wanted to make sure we were washing his face at least once a day to remove it and he finally got used to it. It's my husband's job and he kind of holds his little snout and then wipes his face. I tried holding him from behind to do it and that just freaked him out, he seems to prefer Mike's method better.
3blackchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 3blackchows »

My 3 don't like it either. I too use a washcloth like everyone else. One of my girls used to get stains & I would get a cotton pad soaked w/ warm water to clean them, while my husband scratched her neck. It was a huge distratcion & she didn't seem to mind.

Judy: I love the new photos of the girls. My husband wants me to log on to see if there are any new photos of the girls...& of course Steel. He could be a doggy model.
My kids run from the camera so it's hard for me to get photos.
Momma Chow Celeste to Gorman, Onyx & Irish
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you - Milly and Mabel are little monkeys to try and photograph - Milly especially will get up and come and have a look when the camera whirrs so I try to switch on, activate the zoom etc. and guess before I go out.!
Gotta be quick! :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

Judy, I love when you post new pics of Milly and Mabel. They are so adorable! I still think my favorite so far is the one with them waiting by the gate for the mailman....excuse me, post man.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

I'll probably get yelled at for this, but I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo (no tears formula) suds on a washcloth, then rinse with a second washcloth that's just warm water. She would rather not have any kind of bath, but she seems to accept having her face washed with a little more grace.

I had bought a pet store product for tear stains, but after reading the label, was not satisfied that it was safe. My mom had a nasty eye infection that left her eyes crusty and itchy, and her Doc told her to wash off the eye area with the baby shampoo, which she did with no ill effect, even with her eyes inflamed. So I figured it would work as well for Sophie.

And just for the record, I actually squeezed out a gob of the shampoo and stuck it directly in my eye just to make sure, because at Chez Sophie we test on humans.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

Chubaka has had to get used to having his muzzle, chin and chest washed every evening after dinner. He slobbers so much. Now with Magda and the two of them playing all the time he's slobbering even more. :?
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.