blow drying?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

squintero
Rank 0
Rank 0

blow drying?

Post by squintero »

I gave my Juliette a bath yesterday, this will be her third bath in the 5 months that I've had her.
The first two baths my girl was small enough to hold in between my legs while I blow dried her fur.

Yesterday, however, she wrestled with me when I tried to blow dry her.
She is really good about sitting still when I brush her and even though she looks like she hates me when she is in the bath she still sits still for me.

Any advice on getting my girl to let me blow dry her? I have read that you MUST blow dry them to avoid any skin irritations and rashes. It makes me nervous.
Zhuyos mom

Re: blow drying?

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Try putting a couple of cotton balls in her ears so it will muffle the sound of the dryer. Just remember to take them off when you are done. Then when you are not grooming her and just relaxing at home, if you have something like a motorized toothbrush, while it's running roll it around her head, ears and mane area. You'll also have to praise her during that time. The exercise is to help her get acquinted with motorized sounds like a hair dryer. I know with my chows that they would react negatively when I used any heat on the dryer. But would be fine when it is in the cool or blower cycle.
Clouds
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Clouds »

I didn't know that you had to blow dry them. :o Just yesterday I brought Tobi in for the night and he had gotten a little wet from the rain so I used the blow dryer on him and he didn't appreciate it too much lol at first he tried to get up and walk off but he eventually just sat there and let me blow dry him...mind you I had a hold on his collar and he still ran off before he was completely dry. Yeah I don't think he liked the noise it made.

Usually when it's time for him to get a bath we take him to the groomers but just a few days ago I washed him and let him air dry. I guess I'll blow dry him for now on. You should try what Zhuyo said and give her some encouragement and soothing when you use the blow dryer so she'll get used to it.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

We don't blow dry, hubby and I just grab a towel each and start a-rubbing, I didn't want to blow dry for fear of drying Rios skin out. I am going to purchase a heated fan for the winter months as he likes to sit in front of the cooling fan when its warm.