blow drying?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

squintero
Rank 0
Rank 0

blow drying?

Post by squintero »

I gave my Juliette a bath yesterday, this will be her third bath in the 5 months that I've had her.
The first two baths my girl was small enough to hold in between my legs while I blow dried her fur.

Yesterday, however, she wrestled with me when I tried to blow dry her.
She is really good about sitting still when I brush her and even though she looks like she hates me when she is in the bath she still sits still for me.

Any advice on getting my girl to let me blow dry her? I have read that you MUST blow dry them to avoid any skin irritations and rashes. It makes me nervous.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: blow drying?

Post by PCC »

I've never heard that you must blow dry a dog to avoid skin irritations and rash. You do need to make sure all shampoo and conditioner is rinsed off for those reasons.

I always groom Dim Sum on a grooming table so he has no choice but to stand or sit there.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Squintero, I am going to repeat what I posted under your photos of bath time. I only use the blow dryer for a final drying. I take two big bath towels and use one then the other to try to get all the water out of the fur. We had to acclimate Ursa to the blow dryer by turning it on about 10 ft from her food bowl just before we fed her. Then over about a two week period, we would move it closer and closer to her. She is not overly happy about it, but she will let you use it. I have also explained this process before in a post on the forum. We went through it with both the clippers and the blow dryer. I think there is a high pitched whine produced by the blow dryer that is irritating to dogs. I have no proof, but I do believe this.
squintero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by squintero »

Ursa's daddy wrote:Squintero, I am going to repeat what I posted under your photos of bath time. I only use the blow dryer for a final drying. I take two big bath towels and use one then the other to try to get all the water out of the fur. We had to acclimate Ursa to the blow dryer by turning it on about 10 ft from her food bowl just before we fed her. Then over about a two week period, we would move it closer and closer to her. She is not overly happy about it, but she will let you use it. I have also explained this process before in a post on the forum. We went through it with both the clippers and the blow dryer. I think there is a high pitched whine produced by the blow dryer that is irritating to dogs. I have no proof, but I do believe this.
I dont think she minds the noise. When I blow dry my hair she sits by my feet.
It's only when its aimed at her that she isn't happy. I make sure the keep it constantly moving so it isnt too hot on her body.
PCC wrote:I've never heard that you must blow dry a dog to avoid skin irritations and rash. You do need to make sure all shampoo and conditioner is rinsed off for those reasons.

I always groom Dim Sum on a grooming table so he has no choice but to stand or sit there.
Im going to have to get a grooming table. I wonder if she will let me put her up there if she isnt used to it?? :-x
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

The grooming table may require some conditioning so that the dog feels comfortable being on it. I do not use one, but perhaps PCC can tell about his experience with Dim Sum. I am sure if you make it a pleasant experience and use praise and some rewards, it will work.
JasmineW
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JasmineW »

Yeah, I never heard that you MUST blow dry any dog, though I haven;t heard that it could be detrimental either ... Try it, it might make her look even cuter!