Which way?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Which way?

Post by Rio »

I can't find an answer to this question, which way do you brush a Chows fur? Breeder said from tail to head,is this correct??
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Which way?

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I brush mine both ways. Brushing from tail to head will remove loose fur and tangles, but I think that I also help clear out the tangles brushing from head to tail. My wife says that Malachi really likes it when I brush from head to tail. She says he lets his tongue hang out and makes goo-goo eyes. I am not sure what she means, but she says that she can tell he really likes it. She just told me to write that from tail to head is better. (I have been married long enough to do what she says.)
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Thanks for your advise, and well done to your wife for having such a well trained household.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Rio wrote:I can't find an answer to this question, which way do you brush a Chows fur? Breeder said from tail to head,is this correct??
If you're asking where to start, IMO it doesn't matter. Sometime I start at the tail, but other times I start at the head. In regards to the topcoat, I brush in the direction that it lays. But if I'm combing his undercoat, i work in small sections, parting the fur to the skin, and comb in the opposite direction that the fur lays. I know some people say that is wrong, but I feel like I get out more dead undercoat that way
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Thankyou all for your replies, I will give them all a go and see which Rio prefers.