Should I trim his coat?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Should I trim his coat?

Post by trry »

Hello,
Me again!.... so last night it was very hot well it wasn't scorching but due to the quick rise in temperature my chow was very hot it seems. He came inside and didn't want to eat or anything just slept. I got worried and pointed a floor fan at his face so he can cool down. After the house was cool down from the breeze of the night he was more active and started eating. Should I groom him to have a less dense hair cut or wait for the spring shed to come?

Thanks!
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Should I trim his coat?

Post by PCC »

I would not, and have never done so, even though it can be very hot and humid here in the Washington D.C. area. We're already having warm weather; today it is 26 C, rather unusual for this time of year. That's one reason why his evening walk is always very late at night(usually at midnight): to stay out of the blazing sun.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Thank you.

So next question do you guys trim the hair between the paws? In my mind its more padding but less traction... what do you guys do?
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I just trim enough so that the fur is flush. It it is too long between his toes, the fur prevents the pads from gaining traction as you say. I do not really go between the toes much. In the past when I took him to groomers, they would trim more aggressively, and I guess it bothered him, because he would constantly chew on his paws afterwards.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Thank you once again....

Last question about grooming I promise =X So I am taking everything into consideration and I plan to take him to the groomers next week but I washed him early Tuesday since he was rolling in the mud at the dog park. I know I am not suppose to wash him that much but how do I clean him without bathing him since he is all muddy?! excluding the obvious of not taking him to dog park....

Will rinsing him with water dry his skin/coat or its just application with a shampoo will strip the natural oils?

THANKS!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Trry, as far as your pup getting over heated have you ever heard of the cooling beds for canines? My chow use to get very exhausted and over heat easily due to her breathing difficulties and I purchased one of these pads and she loved it. We used it in the house and in the car for traveling in the hot months. You add cool water to a gel like pad and it stays cool ( we put it on the cool tile floor and it kept it nice an cool) .If they chew things it could be a problem, it comes with a pillow case type cover if that would help cause it is a canvas type or plastic type cover.My chow was not a chewer so never had a problem..It also is good for aching joints.(maybe I should get one for my own joints hehe) You can google cooling beds for dogs I think it should come up .It lasted for 3-4 years.cleans off with a damp rag and soap, It also fits inside a crate if you crate your pup different sizes.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

PCC- I'm in the Frederick area of MD and it has been rather warm!
As for coat trimming, I do about the same as PCC. Ty keeps his full coat all year long. I have air conditioning in the apartment and he spends most of his time indoors since we don't have a back yard. It is getting to the point now where I'll need to get up earlier for our walks to be in the cooler part of the morning and late evening. Our dog park outings are probably going to be later or cease for the summer. 80 some degrees in March is not a happy prediction for the summer. Definitely makes me miss the cool breeze in PA. But yea, my fiance's uncle begged us to lion shave Ty when he was a puppy. Not necessary. lol
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

trry wrote:I plan to take him to the groomers next week but I washed him early Tuesday since he was rolling in the mud at the dog park. I know I am not suppose to wash him that much but how do I clean him without bathing him since he is all muddy?! excluding the obvious of not taking him to dog park....

Will rinsing him with water dry his skin/coat or its just application with a shampoo will strip the natural oils?
I too have had to take my boy for an unplanned trip to the dog wash after he rolled in the mud at the dog park. If you're worried about removing too much of the natural oils from his coat, just water down the shampoo so it is not so strong. Regardless, it's not like you would be bathing him constantly. An extra bath here and there is not going to ruin his coat or damage his skin.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

TyChowgirl wrote:PCC- I'm in the Frederick area of MD and it has been rather warm!

Hi neighbor. :D

I took Dim Sum down to the Tidal Basin to see the cherry blossoms yesterday. Must have been 80. He sought out every bit of shade he could find.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

:) If you want sometime, we can get the chows together. We together with Ty's brother Chrysalis every chance we get and they're from Baltimore. The boys love to play with other dogs, but enjoy playing "chow" so much more. Then again, they ARE brothers, but I'm convinced they know their own kind lmao. I can't wait for us to meet up at Barrel oak winery in Virginia again. It's such a gem of a place. Good wine, good food, and we can let the boys run around the vineyard worry free. Let me know if you're interested some time!
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

So I took my little guy to get his first groom session and the grommer informed me that the red tint on his paw and underneath his mouth was due to his saliva she recommended me to get a bib but I went to babyrus and nothing was there..... Any one have suggestions on where or just make my own?

Thanks!
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

I've looked for bibs when I had Siu Mai, but I could never find anything that would fit without having to modify it in some way. I used to use doggy bandanas, but I don't anymore. On long walks, I carry a towel.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Siu Nau and Dim Sum? hahaha you must like dim sum a lot! I would name my guy after Ha-churn sorry my pi-ying is terible.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Our family's first Chow was named Char Siu (BBQ pork). Then came Siu Mai (pork dumpling). If and when I get another...I would love to get a cream sister for Dim Sum...her name would be Yum Cha; literally "drink tea," the Cantonese name for a morning/lunch tea meal. Dim Sum is what you eat when going for Yum Cha. :wink:
jazzmineong
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jazzmineong »

I usually just wipe my Nukes face fur with a paper towel when he looks wet(He is a messy water drinker). That helps a lot. He would not stand for wearing a bib. He's a proud boy.
Live well, Laugh often, Love much
Jazzminesong