COAT TANGLE

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

emir13
Rank 0
Rank 0

COAT TANGLE

Post by emir13 »

hi! im new here. please help me.. i want to maintain the good looks of my chow but i am having problems with his fir. i send him to the groomer once a month but i keep on seeing tangled fir from his neck and around his tummy. im already using dog conditioner but still he is having a lot. what can you suggest me guys? thanks in advance :)
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: COAT TANGLE

Post by PCC »

Unfortunately, Chows need a lot of grooming. Even though you have him groomed once a month, you need to brush him in-between, at least once a week. If you want him to look great all the time though, even once a week is not enough!

I use a variety of tools to maintain my boy's coat; a long toothed comb, a slicker, a pin brush, and a shedding tool. I use the long tooth comb the most, because it can get deep down into the fur, breaking up tangles and preventing matting.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

PCC- I feel like an idiot, but I tried to use the long tooth comb..(if we're talking about the same thing) and it didn't seem to work right in Ty's fur...or maybe I'm doing it wrong? Though I don't quite see how lol. I use two different undercoat rakes and a pin brush. Something a slicker, though he hates it for some reason. I have no real problems till he hangs out with his brother and they do a lot of mane tugging. There are still some mats that lay deep I can't quite get out.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

A long toothed comb isn't the best tool for mats that already exist; I just use it regularly to remove dead undercoat and to prevent matting. A shedding tool or a de-matting comb would be better for mats.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I like the pin brush. It seems to untangle the coat the best, and the dogs seem to like it. Of course, anything that they like, I like. They get brushed at least once a week, more if they are shedding or they look rough. If a tangle is real bad, I will remove it with scissors. Those are usually behind the ears where they have been pulling on each other.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ursa- Yea, the boys don't make it easy on us when they get together and play! The mats tend to happen behind the ears and down the neck. And those are the places Ty doesn't like being brushed for very long. He gets irritated with me even though we've been doing this routine from day one. Does the coat detangler or conditioner work really well?