Tear stains need help???

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Tear stains need help???

Post by kitten1426 »

Our Black chow is getting tear stains..I have done a search on here and tried all different things that was recommended on this forum none really seemed to work,..Is there anything else i can try??...It seems to be more on one side then the other Any help would be great Thank you....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Tear stains need help???

Post by Sarahloo »

He may need eyelid surgery. Loo had it done. It was no big deal.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Sarahloo wrote:He may need eyelid surgery. Loo had it done. It was no big deal.

How would i know if he needed that surgery?....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

If you post a picture, a lot of us on here know whether or not surgery will be needed. Tear stains can indicate entropion, which is where the eye lids fold inwards and cause the eyelashes to rub the surface of the eye. Post a picture, and we may be able to help more.
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

BeckiHutton wrote:If you post a picture, a lot of us on here know whether or not surgery will be needed. Tear stains can indicate entropion, which is where the eye lids fold inwards and cause the eyelashes to rub the surface of the eye. Post a picture, and we may be able to help more.
Ok will do but i think i know what you mean now,Im sure My Fiance knows too Her parents raised and show Chows..I just wanted to get the ugly brown stains off his Black coat...Can i use anything to clean them off?..Oh wait our vet looked not to long ago she said he doesnt have that yet but its possible he can later on in life he is 9 months old now...
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

kitten1426 wrote:I just wanted to get the ugly brown stains off his Black coat...
It would probably be a good idea to find the source of the problem and take care of it. Eyes aren't supposed to leak to the point where they leave ugly marks. Maybe ask a different doctor for a second opinion or go to an animal eye doctor.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Sarahloo wrote:
kitten1426 wrote:I just wanted to get the ugly brown stains off his Black coat...
It would probably be a good idea to find the source of the problem and take care of it. Eyes aren't supposed to leak to the
point where they leave ugly marks. Maybe ask a different doctor for a second opinion or go to an animal eye doctor.
Were going Friday to get our dogs rabbies shots so i will have the vet look again..maybe it got worse...or it wasnt doing it beofre and now it is ...
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

kitten1426 wrote:
Sarahloo wrote:
It would probably be a good idea to find the source of the problem and take care of it. Eyes aren't supposed to leak to the
point where they leave ugly marks. Maybe ask a different doctor for a second opinion or go to an animal eye doctor.
Were going Friday to get our dogs rabbies shots so i will have the vet look again..maybe it got worse...or it wasnt doing it beofre and now it is ...
That's good. And you can look too! Can you see his eyelashes (bottom lid) when you look him in the face? Or do they point into his eyes and you have to unroll his skin to get them back to where they should be?

There is also the opposite, where the lid is too low and you can see the red in his eyes!

Or maybe he just has an eye infection from a draft or something like that!?
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

No he has None of that at all...It seems to do it bad while he is eating...or when he is done eating i noticed he is tearing more...mainly left eye...Our Collie does it too sometimes while eating...
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

http://imgur.com/XPoAI

Does my little guy need it? I know his eyes are small I will try to get another pictures closer of his eyes.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

trry wrote:http://imgur.com/XPoAI

Does my little guy need it? I know his eyes are small I will try to get another pictures closer of his eyes.
It is possible! ask your vet when you're there the next time. It's possible he can't see much. They only operate on adults, but the vet might tack them temporarily so he can see better!